DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to pick out a new under cabinet range hood and accompanying cabinet but having trouble finding the right hood size, CFM and color. There is a far better selection of wall mounted hoods but I like the look of having a cabinet over the hood to match the cabinets to either side. Would I run into any issues if I install a wall mounted hood then build a cabinet around just the chimney so it looks as if the hood is an under cabinet one?

·
Naildriver
18,641 Posts
It will largely depend on the spacing of the two adjacent cabinets. Most hoods are in the 36" range. Making a hood to surround it will make it 37 1/2" wide. How much space do you have? I have a talented client who made her own, but made sure we spaced her cabinets accordingly. I was impressed at her talent.

Cabinetry Countertop Furniture Building Drawer

·
Usually Confused
9,606 Posts
In addition to the boxes to tick in your quest, also consider how much noise they produce. Measured in 'sones', it's not totally accurate (I'm pretty sure testing is done and reported by the manufacturer themselves, and things like ducting can impact real world) but relative numbers between units can be helpful.

·
Naildriver
18,641 Posts
@Gcraay The one pictured is not of the OP, but one that a client built from scrap wood we were stacking up for her.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts