DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Red Seal Electrician
254 Posts
I would run the tel/coax through just about anything... conduit, channel, vinyl siding trim, etc.

All of it would look better if it dog-legged over near the soffit instead of halfway up the wall.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ignore that. Its your utilities. They dont bring down the value of your house, because the house requires them . If the value would actually be brought down, you would have a hard time selling it. You wont.

regarding painting wires. that ruins the wire.
they are covered so as not to be damaged by weather.
Your pain is a chemical that will etch into the cabling and wreck it. especially coax. the end result is the inside of the cable turning into a powder.

Leave it all alone, or pay someone to rerun it all. that's not cheap. change your viewpoint.That's cheaper

Since its flex, you can move it as the electrician said above.

when he says doglegged, he means, the angle that the power is taking. see if you can move it

·
Ever Learning
184 Posts
One more point.

When your data carrying wires are near to your power carrying lines, you will have less interference if they are at 90 degrees to each other. That is, no doubt, why someone ran them that way. And then goofed it up but running them the rest of the way up the wall side-by-side. The level of interference goes at the square of the distance, so while 30 cm=12 in is a rough guide, when you don't have it, every inch counts.

check your local building code - some of them have specifications for low-voltage vs power separation. It has to do with fire safety, as some of the low-voltage cables have flammable layers.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I just wonder why anyone would run the low voltage / data wires BEHIND the electrical panel.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As interesting as this is to you all I’m sure, it’s over my head, lol. I haven’t a clue when the wires were put up or why it goes how it does.

Maybe I could call the utility company and see if they’d “clean it up” by checking if all the wires every wire is even necessary? Probably they’re all needed.

·
Ever Learning
184 Posts
I just wonder why anyone would run the low voltage / data wires BEHIND the electrical panel.
I can't imagine! ran out of fasteners and too lazy to walk to the truck to get more???

·
retired painter
9,731 Posts
I generally try to keep wires like that paint free but when previous painters have got that much paint on them already I often paint them just to make it look better.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mark sr- I was the terrible painter, lol. I thought about trying to remove the paint off of the wires somehow with a rag and maybe mineral spirits or something. But I don’t know how crazy that would be until I started. Plus idk if mineral spirits would work.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
The practice of running SUE cable like that is very common in the NE United States.
Some guys do a very neat job and others just get it done and care nothing about the appearance.
I personally do not like it, but its how services are done in the NE US. The installer could have made this look much better, but that boat has sailed.
While your SEU cable is ugly, it most likely is compliant.

·
Red Seal Electrician
254 Posts
The metallic meter can should be at ground potential, and that demark box should be grounded too.

I'm not familiar with SEU cable... if it doesn't have metal armour or shield inside, then it will emit some EMF.

Coax is much less susceptible to interference than twisted-pair (unshielded). Can't tell whats what from the pic.

·
retired painter
9,731 Posts
Mark sr- I was the terrible painter, lol. I thought about trying to remove the paint off of the wires somehow with a rag and maybe mineral spirits or something. But I don’t know how crazy that would be until I started. Plus idk if mineral spirits would work.

Mineral spirits will only remove oil base paint before it's completely dry. It has little/no effect on latex paint. Denatured alcohol will soften dried latex paint BUT I wouldn't go thru that much trouble on a service cable! I'd either leave it or paint it to match the rest of the house.

·
Big Dog
2,562 Posts
When I worked telco, we would have been written up and possibly dismissed for doing such a shoddy install.

·
Red Seal Electrician
254 Posts
When I worked telco, we would have been written up and possibly dismissed for doing such a shoddy install.
To me, its difficult to believe that is the original installer's work. Could be some siding/renovation contractor, or previous homeowner, has had their hands into it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts