DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

We have a vent in our laundry room, it's in the ceiling and it vents to the outside (like a bathroom fan.)

There has been a burning smell in the room for the last few days and now I can see that the cover of the vent is turning brown and literally melting.

I called our landlord Thursday and she said she was sending someone out but apparently they never came or they came and did nothing, I don't know.

Can you tell me if this is a fire hazard?

I can't get a hold of the landlord again until Monday, I live in a large building and there is no way to stop everyone from using the laundry room all weekend.

Thanks so much for any info!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure, if you turn on the light the fan comes on automatically but the light is no where near the fan/vent so I'm not sure but I can see that the vent is completely coated with lint and dust and it's making a loud buzzing noise that it never made before.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
I live in a large building and there is no way to stop everyone from using the laundry room all weekend.
When the building catches fire they all will stop using the laundry room.

This is a serious situation that needs attention TODAY and I would think the fire department would have the authority to disable the fan. If not they should have.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,138 Posts
Pay attention to senior......^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(Call your land lady and explain burning smell and your concern.... let her know you will call the FD if immediate remedial action is not taken by her.... follow it with an immediate E-mail.... )

(And call the FD if no immediate response..... but explain to them the exact circumstances and your concern).

·
Registered
409 Posts
Fire departments will respond to situation like this. I've been involved in two past situations where the fire department was called due to a burning smell that couldn't be readily identified. In this case you've got it narrowed down, but I think they will still be interested.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,138 Posts
Fire departments will respond to situation like this. I've been involved in two past situations where the fire department was called due to a burning smell that couldn't be readily identified. In this case you've got it narrowed down, but I think they will still be interested.
YEP.... They are virtually required to respond..... and rightfully so. (And if the land lady ignores the OP's concern, in some jurisdictions, she can be be held liable for the costs.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone! My son is sending her a picture of the melting vent right now (good idea thanks!) and I put a sign up in there that says "Fire Hazard Do Not Run Fan!"

If she doesn't respond to the text I will call the Fire Department.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts