DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I accidentally put a little bit of Easy Off heavy duty oven cleaner down the drain with about 7 cups of water plus a tidbit of SOS soap. This was after cleaning a cast iron skillet. I should have flushed about 2 gallons of water down the drain with that. But carelessly I didn't. It didn't affect the PVC pipe probably. The PVC pipe runs about 20 feet and then it hits the old cast iron pipe. I was wondering if it could have affected the couplings that were installed in 1985 while adding a den to this house.

I even read the history of how PVC pipes originated. I'm assuming couplings are plasterized to make them slightly softer than hard pipe. I haven't went in the crawl space to see how they're connected. It would save me time and possibly money. If someone knew if the couplings were PVC instead of some type of rubber. Easy Off is mostly sodium hydroxide. There is a one in a million chance that anything is wrong. It might be a dumb and stupid question but it saves me a little time here instead of going all over town for a plumber and asking them what the situation might be. I guess PVC coupling are immune to corrosion.

I'm hoping back in 1985 couplings were modernized and made of PVC and not rubber. Could you tell me anything about this ?????

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
In 1985 and today, a connection of PVC pipe to cast iron pipe would be made by a rubber insert if connecting to a cast iron hub or by a rubber coupling with clamps if connecting to a cast iron pipe with out a hub.

Go worry about whether or not your favorite sports team is going to win this weekend. You have nothing to be concerned about relative to your plumbing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Soon as I can get in the crawl space and maybe get a look at the coupling they used in 1985 I'll have a general idea. I'm hoping out of maybe a thousand plumbers that come to the DIY chatroom would know. If I don't feel secure with the coupling that they used I could have it replaced by a plumber or I could do it maybe. But I doubt I should do it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My general question is whether the sodium hydroxide got in contact with any rubber that could corrode. About 4 to 5 sprays of Easy-Off heavy duty oven cleaner mixed with about 7 cups of water. That is half gallon of water with about 2-3 oz of Easy Off. I was cleaning a cast iron skillet that had lot of **** on it. I was reading PVC is not affected by sodium hydroxide. That's the leading ingredient of Easy-Off oven cleaner. I was hoping 2 1/2 inch PVC pipe approximately that connected to the 6 inch cast iron pipe were only in contact and not the coupling.

That's a modern-day coupling I don't know what they used back then I'll have to going to crawl space and dig a little.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Back in 1985 I was wondering if the soft parts of the coupling were made out of PVC instead of rubber. Rubber isn't resistant to highly corrosive chemicals but soft PVC that has been plasticized to make it soft is immune to corrosive chemicals. I was wondering in 1985 did they use soft PVC instead of rubber that was my question. Basically I didn't get to the water faucet until about 7 hours later. So I'm hoping that the cast iron pipe and the PVC pipe connected and it didn't allow any rubber from the coupling to come in contact with anything inside the pipe. The coupling I'm showing in this post is about what would be needed. Hoping they used something very similar in 1985. If anyone doesn't know whether it's okay I'll have to go digging in the crawl space. Not until spring though. I'll just watch it closely make sure no odors are coming from the crawl space. I guess I could put a towel under the coupling and place it there for a couple weeks and if there's no leakage I'm okay.

Try and enjoy the football games.

https://www.fernco.com/technical/materials/acid-resist-chart

Attachments

·
retired framer
63,320 Posts
Back in 1985 I was wondering if the soft parts of the coupling were made out of PVC instead of rubber. Rubber isn't resistant to highly corrosive chemicals but soft PVC that has been plasticized to make it soft is immune 2 corrosive chemicals. I was wondering in 1985 did they use soft PVC instead of rubber that was my question.
https://www.fernco.com/technical/materials/acid-resist-chart

You know the chemicals and the amounts used, they know the rubber and what it can handle, call them. plumbers are not chemists.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will ask plumbers locally and maybe give this post to them. Any which way I got to go into the crawl space and check if anything was affected. I'll just place a towel under the coupling. Nothing serious. Plumber would repair the coupling for about $400. Charge mostly for crawling into the crawl space. I'm sure large plumber companies have small guys who don't mind going in there. I haven't figured out how to like any comments.

I'll be okay I'm going to enjoy some football.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'm just hoping that the rubber part in the middle did not get corroded buy a mixture of 7 cups of water and about 2.5 to 3 oz of Easy-Off oven cleaner. It doesn't really state that the Fernco couplings are made of rubber or plasterized PVC. Hoping that in 1985 that the couplings were resistant to harsh chemicals like they are nowadays. From reading about the history of PVC pipes I think they are made of the same material in 1985 and 2020. They had PVC soft tubing back in 1920's like a garden hose used in medicine. I'll check and see what's underneath the coupling and see if it's leaking. Place a towel under it and check again in 3 or 4 months. I think a two or three inch PVC was connected to a 6 inch cast iron. There was probably a little bit of water in drainage pipe anyway. I doubt that it would ever penetrate through 3/16 inch to 1/4 of rubber. Should be easy to put another one on anyway.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-2-in-x-1-1-2-in-DWV-Flexible-PVC-Coupling-P1056-215/100013986

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I'll dig down there and just give it a look and see what type of coupling was used and ask the plumber what he thinks. If it doesn't end up in the crawl space with a leakage I guess it's okay. So maybe investigate about April. Everyone throughout America could have done the same thing. People probably pour bleach down their drains that could affect the rubber couplings.

·
retired framer
63,320 Posts
I'll dig down there and just give it a look and see what type of coupling was used and ask the plumber what he thinks. If it doesn't end up in the crawl space with a leakage I guess it's okay. So maybe investigate about April. Everyone throughout America could have done the same thing. People probably pour bleach down their drains that could affect the rubber couplings.
If it was a problem in 1000s of houses we would find videos with people complaining and repairing them.
If you think about a coupling the pipes fit close together with rubber around them, what ever crack there is between the pipes will be like a little trap collecting water and maybe some debris over time, you chemicals would like have run right over it with out slowing down.

If you have a donut the pipe would be center in the fitting and if some chemicals stopped there, there is a lot of rubber there so it would take a lot of chemicals to keep working it's way thru.

And fernco does say they are chemical resistant.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
If it was a problem in 1000s of houses we would find videos with people complaining and repairing them.
If you think about a coupling the pipes fit close together with rubber around them, what ever crack there is between the pipes will be like a little trap collecting water and maybe some debris over time, you chemicals would like have run right over it with out slowing down.

If you have a donut the pipe would be center in the fitting and if some chemicals stopped there, there is a lot of rubber there so it would take a lot of chemicals to keep working it's way thru.

And fernco does say they are chemical resistant.
I hope what you're saying is true. I'll look now and then in the crawl space and if there's not a big spillage of water there I should be okay. I'm in the middle of a reverse mortgage and have access to $100,000 plus $60,000 from IRA's. Get about $500 from SSDI. I'm 64 with a diabetic condition. Slight heart problems but nothing serious but can't really be crawling in a crawl space doing a whole lot. At least I have a couple years to decide whether to stay or leave. I'm sure there's other people throughout America who have poured tons of bleach down their drainage pipes. 7 cups of water with 2 ounces of Easy Off heavy duty oven cleaner with a little amount of SOS shouldn't really affect more than 1/32 of an inch of the rubber coupling. But I have no idea actually what's under the house I'm going to look maybe about April unless I get really curious about it. House is mostly for the cat to have a place to go outside. 😸😸😸

I don't know how to put like for people's comments with smartphone. Maybe DIY chatroom does not do that anymore.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Everyone makes mistakes and I made the mistake not to flush extra water down the kitchen sink. But there might have been extra water in the water pipes. Maybe chemical reactions took place as the water went down about 20 feet of pipe to the coupling. If I find how the coupling is connected and where the pipe runs I'm figuring plumber won't charge me more than 500 extra to go in the crawl space and put a new coupling in. This is only maybe a $500 project at the most but to redo the cast-iron plumbing that was put in around 1958 would cost maybe $6,000 so I'm still okay.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
There is a possibility that on the new addition side of the house built in 1985 where the kitchen sink and PVC pipe runs the PVC pipe is a little bit lower than the cast iron pipe that is on the house originally built in 1958. So there might be a small elbow in the PVC pipe near the cast iron pipe where are the PVC pipe and cast iron pipe connect. That would mean there would be a small pool of water in the elbow. I've never checked out where they connected. But of course I don't know if there's any elbow in the PVC pipe or not. I have to actually go down in the crawlspace and see where the cast iron and PVC pipe meet. If I do a little work to locate where they connected the pipes in 1985 I can save a little money and not have the plumber try to locate where everything is. He'll just have to put the coupling on if necessary. I guess when I get the information I can post it here at DIY chatroom. I have no clue how everything was connected up in 1985 though. Maybe just look in the crawl space door and see if there's a pool of water in a couple weeks. Then check again in about a month. Maybe dig around March and see where they're connected. Should be okay. I have to do about half the work but should be okay and let the plumber do the other half if necessary. I suffer from ascites in my gut. Only have to crawl about 15 feet. Edema ascites and slight heart problems nothing to play with. Just recovering from that. But I should be okay.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
What will it take to make you quit worrying about this? The rubber plumbing couplings used in 1985 are basically the same rubber couplings used today.

Lets try a little bit of logic. If a little bit of Easy Off could damage a rubber coupling Easy Off would have been put out of business a long time ago. Also rubber couplings would have not been approved for use in plumbing drain pipe.

If you want to worry about something, worry about your reverse mortgage. Reverse mortgages are never a good deal for the home owner. If you need money just go to a mortgage company and borrow it. I can assure you that the interest rate of a home mortgage (especially at today's rates) will be less than the reverse mortgage rate.
If you don't want to be burdened with making monthly payments, just borrow enough money to make the monthly payments. Put that extra money in a bank account and have the bank make the payments for you. That in essence is what a reverse mortgage. You are just dealing with one company and are paying interest on the interest that you borrowed.

Quit worrying about your plumbing and get some financial advise.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I'm not going to keep worrying about the coupling. I'll dig up some sand and try to locate the exact location. Wish I had a flushed the drain like I should have. Just hoping more than 6 cups of water was down there with the 2.5 oz of Easy-Off oven cleaner. I may have turned water on at 5 pm that day. All I have to do is locate the location of the coupling but not until after April probably and the plumbers do the rest. I can monitor the crawl space every two or three months should be okay. Just open the crawl space door with a flashlight see if there's any water there. If not I'm okay.

I was allowed to borrow about $100,000 but I was told that it's making 5% interest. I've only taken out $10,000 from that 100,000. Got 60,000 in IRA's. Just holding out for 2 years. If I borrow say 40000 3 years I got to pay back about $60,000 or $65,000. So I got two and a half years until I got to go in the crawl space and do this if there isn't any leakage. I'm okay. I just drink a little tidbit of the alcoholic beverage in this comment and it relaxes me. . Drink a little water and take (la-six) furosemide and Lantus insulin. Carvedilol when needed. I know not to mix medications with alcohol so I don't drink more than a few ounces. Check my blood sugars and blood pressure so I know how to keep myself from being stressed out. Thanks for the advice. Maybe on laptop and not on smartphone DIY chatroom has a place to like comments.

I'll try to relax and watch some football.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll go to Home Depot and Lowe's and research all this stuff with other plumbers. First comment was about the donut. I guess the connection there in diagram was with a 2-2.5 PVC pipe inserted into about 6 inch cast iron pipe. I have no idea what was used in 1985.

https://www.fernco.com/downloads/installation-instructions/fernco-donut-installation

No major leakage I can remedy the situation. Should be okay for a few months. Maybe it's completely okay. Eventually get a plumber to change the coupling. Just like changing a lightbulb if I have to do that and would cost no more than $600 probably.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
It ain't gonna leak.

But if you insist, stop by the Dollar Store and purchase a plastic shower curtain liner and a role of paper towels. Go by Lowe's or Home Depot, get one of those undocumented laborers. Pay him $30 to go in the crawl space, spread out the plastic liner and place a lot of paper towels under the connection of PCV and cast iron pipe. Three months from now get another undocumented worker to get the paper towels for you.

Stop posting personal financial information around the internet.

Don't worry about Liking, you said "Thank you". That is more than enough.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.