DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im redoing my electric panel and have a few questions
1. what is a main lug load center and can it be used as a main box from meter?
2. the three wires i have coming from outside meter are 2 reds and one white
these are not long enough to reach the lugs that im finding on my new box how do i lengthen them? and what kind of wire would i use.
also on my old meter the neutral and ground are connected to one bar but on a box that im looking at it has the one bar and says ground bar sold seperatly do they need to be wire seperatly?
3. i have old wire that burned in two from a twenty amp breaker the whole reason im changing this box how do i go about pigtailing new romex to old wire above where it burned through can i just run a pigtail and use wire nuts or how do i go about this? thanks alot

·
Registered
37,178 Posts
Simple do not touch it, Hire a licenced electrition to come do it for you.
Just by the questions your having to ask tells us you should not be touching this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not asking for a smartelic answer you have posted this before. this is a diy forum and that is what i am asking the wiring of this thing is middle school i just have a few questions i dont want ignorant answers thank you

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Well THAT should do it. :no:

if you don't know what kind of wire to use to "lengthen" the MAIN CONDUCTORS coming into your house......are you serious?? You just wanna throw a little more wire on there and call it good eh?

If you wanna burn your house down, that's your business, but I doubt anyone is going to help you do it.

Who needs help anyway...this is middle school stuff, right?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
why do yall even come on these forums to pester people? im asking genuine questions here and yes the changing of the box from one to another is taking a wire off and putting it in the same place that not hard im asking genuine questions and yall want to be smart asses way to keep a forum going

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
ok im redoing my electric panel and have a few questions
1. what is a main lug load center and can it be used as a main box from meter?
2. the three wires i have coming from outside meter are 2 reds and one white
these are not long enough to reach the lugs that im finding on my new box how do i lengthen them? and what kind of wire would i use.
also on my old meter the neutral and ground are connected to one bar but on a box that im looking at it has the one bar and says ground bar sold seperatly do they need to be wire seperatly?
3. i have old wire that burned in two from a twenty amp breaker the whole reason im changing this box how do i go about pigtailing new romex to old wire above where it burned through can i just run a pigtail and use wire nuts or how do i go about this? thanks alot
Fair enough.....

1) it's a LC with no main BREAKER, only secondary breakers.....sometimes it can, sometimes not.

2) You can't lengthen them...but you can change them from the meter to the LC with the same size wire....ground and neutral are bonded in the main panel.

3) if you're in the US, you can splice in the panel, yes. If you're somewhere else, I dunno.

BTW, good call on changing the ENTIRE panel because ONE 12g wire burned apart. :thumbsup:

There....feel better?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you very much i really appreciate that i may have not said it right i knew that i could not lengthen them i was talking about replacing main conductors with longer ones
the reason i was even talking about this is because there is a stud right next to box and i could not find a box that had a pop out hole that was in the same place so that box could be set next to stud they were usually in the middle of box not on the right side i have found one that is in the same place and is just about the size of old meter i may be able to come in from a hole at the top and reach it as the new box all the componets are at top left corner.
now on running new romex on burnt wire and splicing does it need to be in box or can it just be twisted and wire nuted and electric taped?
also as you can see there is one strip for ground and neutral is this ok to use on new box or do i need seperate ones?
and finally the box that i am getting is a louvered cover on outside with no breakers showing so you would need to take off four screws to acess breakers will electric company turn power back on with this kind of set up?
sorry for so many questions and thanks for answering i do not have money to hire a electrician and i am a kinda do it yourselfer as it is
thanks so much

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
now on running new romex on burnt wire and splicing does it need to be in box or can it just be twisted and wire nuted and electric taped?
You can splice IN the main panel, or in a junction box outside the panel...your choice.

I'm not going any further, because....at the risk of being called a smart ass again..........this:

Rebelbull, you are either being funny or out of your ability.
is very true.

You're asking some awfully basic questions to think you're ready to change service conductors/panel

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well someone else please answer about the louvered cover that you have to take off to acess breakers will electric company turn it on with no quick access im asking because im not a electrician and its a real question i realize this does not have a main breaker but from a post yesterday i heard some dont require it as long as your running six breakers therefore you could use a different box which is what im doing just wondering if there will be a problem with not quick acess to breakers thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,866 Posts
Do you have a model # for the panel you are looking at?

Periods and commas will help people read your questions!

Based on your questions, you really need a pro to do this.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I am a 35+ yr DIY'er and I support the ability to DIY. That said electrical is much more complicated than people generally understand.

You need your utility involved to do a change like this as they have to disconnect power while you switch over. That will require a permit and inspection. Based on your questions you'd never pass. If you can't answer these few questions off the top of your head then you shouldn't be doing this:

1) For the size service you are considering (100A or 200A) what gauge wire is needed for the entrance feeders?
2) What is your grounding and bonding scheme you plan to employ? What gauge grounding wire is required and where does it route to?
3) Why is the neutral and ground joined at the main panel and why is it separated at sub panels?
4) When you change a main panel are you able to leave existing branch circuits as is or do they need to come up to present code?
5) What are AFCI's and where are they used?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts