DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for a countertop island in a high rise. The installers messed up my freight elevator measurements and now cannot fit the stone countertop in the elevator. They are wanting to seam it in the middle of the sink. The alternate solutions are to find someone to carry the stone up 19 flights of stairs (stone weighs 700 pounds), or convince the condo building manager to let them place it on top of the elevator (she initially said no, would have to find a way to negotiate), or just have them seam it.

what seam would look like:

I could also maybe have them cut it shorter and more narrow to build a ledge on the island, but that would reduce the overhang on the bar from 12" to 8".

·
Naildriver
10,417 Posts
I agree with Neal. Maybe the elevator company could allow the top to be opened to handle the extra length. Seam at sink is second best, but if the hole is already punched, it will probably break with all the movement anyway, so have them cut it and seam it. Time for a little discount, too, since they are not giving you what you ordered.

Reactions: Msradell

·
Usually Confused
6,489 Posts
I can think of any number of reasons why the building owners, elevator company, insurance companies and local lifting device legislation would not allow it and the delivery folks on top of the elevator.
I would think more than a little discount is in order.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can think of any number of reasons why the building owners, elevator company, insurance companies and local lifting device legislation would not allow it and the delivery folks on top of the elevator.
I would think more than a little discount is in order.
If all the moving companies decline the offer to carry it up the stairs, I will be demanding a HEAVY discount.

-failure to properly measure
-destroyed my current counters before trying to install, so no option of going back to original
-no sink while the project is postponed with a slow leak, forcing me to change bucket every few hours and eat out while i wait for problem to be solved

I paid $2400 deposit on a $4700 job. If they go with a seam, I can't imagine me paying much/any more without them having to take me to small claims court. But will have to consult a lawyer first, I just want to be fair

·
Registered
74 Posts
Maybe a stair climber is worth looking into. That is what elevator companies often use to move motors when the elevator is out of service. Here’s an example of one.

Escalera StairCat MS-66 Stair Climbing Truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe a stair climber is worth looking into. That is what elevator companies often use to move motors when the elevator is out of service. Here’s an example of one.

Escalera StairCat MS-66 Stair Climbing Truck.

thanks, I was wondering if something like this existed! Do you know if this type of thing is used by companies that will operate it? So far most movers are turning me down, and I'm guessing they aren't using one of these

·
Registered
74 Posts
Machinery movers may be able to help. You could call the distributors of these climbers and ask them if they have records indicating which companies in your area have purchased them. Good luck. Also see if the piece would fit in the elevator if the car door was left open. The elevator company can bypass that safety circuit and run with the door open. Elevator technicians are rather expensive. Good luck.

·
Usually Confused
6,489 Posts
All at the added expense eaten by the company.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I have ridden the tops of high rise elevators during inspections. The first time the guy who trained me said to pretend the top is a box and don’t step outside the box. The scary part is when another car in the same shaft way flies past. On top of the car is a switch to put the car in slow inspection mode and to enable operation from above. Then you have to hold down two buttons at the same time to move. All that while balancing 700 lbs. and not falling off or getting between the car and wall. I would not expect to get permission to have anything to do with the top of the car.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
I could also maybe have them cut it shorter and more narrow to build a ledge on the island, but that would reduce the overhang on the bar from 12" to 8".
I think you have to either come up with a new design or think laminate that can be rolled up and installed on site. Seam in the center (at sink), or as above are possibilities, maybe other ideas. Without seeing your floorplan and knowing your needs, I can't really say what works best in your case. But my last house had an overhang on the peninsula, and the stools for sitting at the overhang, and in a dozen years, I don't think anybody ever used those stools.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you have to either come up with a new design or think laminate that can be rolled up and installed on site. Seam in the center (at sink), or as above are possibilities, maybe other ideas. Without seeing your floorplan and knowing your needs, I can't really say what works best in your case. But my last house had an overhang on the peninsula, and the stools for sitting at the overhang, and in a dozen years, I don't think anybody ever used those stools.
Thanks. Here is a pic of the island before the install. I have barstools but like you I almost never sit there.

https://imgur.com/a/63b90ds

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Of the options mentioned, I think I would put a seam at the center of the sink, (so long as everybody is comfortable with the strength of the stone -- I can't speak to that, but I thought seaming at the sink was not a preferred location).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, not preferred in the sense that it will be visible whenever I am at the sink, and pretty out in the open. If I could do it close to the wall, I'd be able to cover it up with dishrack and other things, but then the seam would run all the way across

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have ridden the tops of high rise elevators during inspections. The first time the guy who trained me said to pretend the top is a box and don’t step outside the box. The scary part is when another car in the same shaft way flies past. On top of the car is a switch to put the car in slow inspection mode and to enable operation from above. Then you have to hold down two buttons at the same time to move. All that while balancing 700 lbs. and not falling off or getting between the car and wall. I would not expect to get permission to have anything to do with the top of the car.
I actually contacted the elevator company today, and they said that they would be willing to send a mechanic out (at a reasonable rate), to either take off the light panel at the top of the elevator or have someone load it on top. He said this wouldn't violate any contract or insurance. Coming from the elevator company directly that makes me hopeful.

I'm wondering now if I try to negotiate this with the building manager who wasn't having it, or if I try to just go through with the project behind her back

·
retired framer
38,187 Posts
I actually contacted the elevator company today, and they said that they would be willing to send a mechanic out (at a reasonable rate), to either take off the light panel at the top of the elevator or have someone load it on top. He said this wouldn't violate any contract or insurance. Coming from the elevator company directly that makes me hopeful.

I'm wondering now if I try to negotiate this with the building manager who wasn't having it, or if I try to just go through with the project behind her back
It would be nice to get an agreement from her, on the other hand, did you ask in writing, or did she answer in writing.

If you had thought about calling them first would it have bothered you to not tell her?

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
My granite guy wanted to seam at the sink.

It did not happen.

I've seen some guys able to really hide a seam but it depends on the granite chosen. With some patterns it simply will show no matter what.

The better installers can grind some of the granite into a dust that they add to the joint glue and it will help hide the joint. As far as making the joint strong they will cut a small channe in the back and glue in a steel rod that spans the joint.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Excellent. Take out the light panel and keep that in one piece. The manager should be agreeable. They wouldn’t hesitate to do the temporary change to the elevator if they were renovating the “board room.”

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It would be nice to get an agreement from her, on the other hand, did you ask in writing, or did she answer in writing.

If you had thought about calling them first would it have bothered you to not tell her?
in an email, but she said it was because it would create a liability and possibly void the contract if there were damages. the elevator company said it would not void the contract

·
retired framer
38,187 Posts
in an email, but she said it was because it would create a liability and possibly void the contract if there were damages. the elevator company said it would not void the contract
Get that info from the elevator people in writing for her. Have them write that they do it all the time. :wink2:

1 - 20 of 78 Posts