DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it OK to use, and countersink, paneling nails in PVC cove molding, or do I have to use finishing nails?

·
Registered
37,176 Posts
Paneling nails are just that, for paneling, trim nails are for trim.
Why would you want the big round head to show? Set the nails slightly and fill with a tiny amount of latex caulking or a proct called Fast and Final. It's a light weight fast drying drywall filler.

·
Registered
762 Posts
If you're not going to paint it, since it's white, whatever you use, you need to wipe it well or you'll see the difference in texture when the light hits it. For exterior use, they have a screw and plug kit but it's very expensive

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I just read on two other websites that paneling nails were fine for trim, and that included countersinking them. Just wanted to check with the experts here first. I kinda liked the ring shanks on the paneling nails, that's all.

And yes I was intending on countersinking, filling and painting, because it's been my experience that the white on the PVC never quite matches the white paint.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I believe you need to use acrylic paint on that trim. Also, you may find yourself snapping the long panels nails. Might need to buy a very small drill bit and pre drill before nailing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts