DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

new member here, from Canada. I've been an home owner for 7 years so I'm not totally noob with DIY, but I'm moving to a condo closer to work and there's new stuffs for me to learn/ask help.

I'm deep into home automation (Home Assistant+Node Red is crazy good and relatively easy) and replacing switch/dimmer is easy for me.

I also want to automate heating/cooling. However, in my new condo, it's not traditional baseboard heaters + air exchanger + split air conditionning as I had at my house. It's kind of a big one-trick poney device that I'm not even sure how to name.

The "thing" is a Goodman air handler model : awuf180316bc

My questions are :

• What is this "thing" and does it really do all 3 (AC + Heating + Air Exhanging)
  • Is the "thing" also taking care of RH (humidity - see pictures below)
  • My understanding is that the first controller below is for heating/cooling only
  • My understanding is that the SECOND controller below is for air exchanger (and maybe RH ?)
  • Finally, can these two devices be both integrated in the Ecobee smart thermostat, as they're close and the Ecobee does Heating+Cooling+AirExchanging+RH) ?

Thanks everyone for your help and I'll give back to the community in the home automation subforum :smile:

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
The thermostat would be easy to integrate.
The life breath control likely not so much. I’d be curious what voltage is running through it.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
The thermostat would be easy to integrate.
The life breath control likely not so much. I’d be curious what voltage is running through it.
Looks like use a 12 vac control circuit. You'd have to relay it if no dry switch available.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
From what I understand, the Ecobee have 1 dry contact for accessories, but not two. My understanding is that I could probably integrate either fan or humidity, but not both.

Does it make sense to you?

And if it's in fact true, I guess I could hook let's say humidity to Ecobee and keep lifebreath only for fan?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I'm not familiar with that unit but I'd think you could control the on/off circuit with the ecobee switch and add a relay for the humidity solenoid. That presumes you can set the speed on the unit and the setting will survive shutdown and restart. It'll take a bit of research and maybe a call to the manufacturer.

I think Ecobee may have 2 sets of dry switches but I'm not sure... don't have one. Perhaps someone will jump in with better info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts