DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are acting as our own GC, and trying to figure out if we are getting fairly priced by the subcontractors. We know some of the areas (painting, flooring, etc.) but not drywall.

Does anyone know how much it should cost to hang drywall in the Atlanta area? We know the cost of the drywall, but are unsure how much labor should be, or if it should be by the sheet or the square foot?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
37,184 Posts
It's priced by the sheet in most cases.
Someone would need to be on site to look over the job before giving a price.
Just going to have to make some local calls and get some real quotes to get any real prices. All your going to get on the net is guesses.
Sometimes you have to use two different crews, one to hang another to finish. (not in all cases)
Most want to get paid in two draws, one when there finished hanging and another when there finished with the finishing.
Keep an eye on them where there hanging, easy to do it wrong. Over sized outlet and can light openings, not enough screws, seams on the sides of windows and door, not leaving 1/2" gap at the bottom, big gaps, ECT.
My rock guy hangs, finishes and even primes the walls so I can see all the flaws so he can fix them before getting paid.
Once there paid it's highly unlikely your going to get them back to fix there mistakes.
One way to avoid that is to only pay them 1/2 when they say there finished, prime the walls the next day and have them come back to do the touch ups, then pay them the rest.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
for me it works out to about 1.75 per square foot so my formula is take the total of square footage multiply by 3.25 gives you the total amount of square footage of all walls and ceilings. that is assuming you have eight foot high ceilings no vaulted ceilings ect and that is just my labor cost not the material. so on a typical 2,000 sq home be around 11,000 on my labor cost + material and scafolding charge if needed.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Your not going to get any where near an accurate quote. There are to many variables. Not the least being every area is different. How many arches, how much corner bead, regular corner bead or bull nose, How many windows, how many doors, is there stairs, are there places with odd angles.

·
Super Moderator
39,511 Posts
Call several contractors and get prices from them. It doesn't matter what anyone here would charge.

Reactions: ToolSeeker

·
Super Moderator
6,815 Posts
Before someone beats me to it. About threefiddy.

·
Retired Moderator
25,768 Posts
Do you have any other hired trades working on your project?

If so ask if they know of a good hanging/taping crew--

Many painters /paint stores know good drywall crews--

I seldom worry about the cost--just the quality--drywall work is like plastic surgery---good quality work beats low price every time---

·
Registered
37,184 Posts
I've had a lot of bad experiences with dry wallers until I finally found a good one that cared about his work.
They tell you how many sheets to order, I go behind them and figure they wanted 9 more sheets then needed to do the job so I hid the extra sheets in the garage and covered with a tarp. They finished hanging, never asked for any more sheets because they came up short and tried to bill me for hanging all of them.
Catch them cutting up whole sheets when there's some left over so they can get paid for all of them.
Not leaving the required gap at the bottom.
Not using enough screws.
Not cutting the outlet holes the right size and just forcing it in place blowing out the sheetrock.
Covering up outlets, heating vents, attic access holes.
Leaving screws sticking out or over driving.
Making the knee wall to ceiling joint look like a snake.
And this was 3,differant company's that all they do is drywall, not some handy man.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It will be next to impossible for anybody to nail down a solid number for you. That is why you lay your project on the table and get multiple quotes from reputable area contractors prior to the start of the job.

Things to consider:

1) Don't take this personally, and know that I'm not making assumptions about your capabilities. But tons of homeowners play General Contractor to save a buck. Some do an ok job, but many do it pretty poorly. The ones that do it pretty poorly often don't know all the mistakes they make and all the ways they screw it up. It is the tradesmen who have to crawl all over each other to work, or who have to constantly stop and re-start their jobs because other things aren't going smoothly. Things will be going wrong that make them pull their hair out but which the homeowner doesn't even know is a big deal. So if a given subcontractor shows up to give a quote and finds out the homeowner is acting as GC, they will feel you out and qualify your capabilities. If this leads him to believe there will be delays and complications resulting from your actions, they will try to factor this into their quote ahead of time so they don't lose money as a result of you not knowing how to run a project.

You might find a bunch of other guys who will charge you less.
It could turn out they can just do the same work for cheaper. It could turn out they'll stay profitable by doing subpar work. Could be they are good drywall guys but inexperienced businessmen and your job will be a very costly lesson for them on how to write a proper estimate.

If they can come in, do their jobs, and leave without ever stepping on anybody's feet or having anybody step on theirs it's going to cost a different amount of money than if they can do a couple rooms one day then have to stop because the electrician has to come fix something, then do part of the bathroom but have to stop while the plumbing inspection gets done, then do a couple more rooms then have to stop because the flooring guy has to do something, and so on, and so fourth...Every time they have to delay or stop work it delays their final payment. If they know this is coming coming or they think it's likely to be coming they will tack on an 'aggravation' surcharge to these types of jobs.

2) A subcontractor is probably not going to quote the same price to a homeowner who they'll probably only ever work for once or twice as they will to a licensed G.C. who brings them steady work and has a long history of paying in full and on time. So you cannot really have your cake and eat it too. You can be the GC and save on paying his cut, but you will lose his ability to leverage relationships with subs to get discounted labor. In some cases this might still amount to a net savings after you factor in your aggravation, time, and energy to mange the project. Sometimes not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts