DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in an 8 unit (4 up, 4 down) condo in southern Indiana. The building has 4 shallow crawl spaces, each about 1,000 sq ft. They are connected in pairs with 2 doors, 1 on each end. Without getting into much detail, they paid to have the fiberglass insulation between the joists removed to create a conditioned space.

They then discovered local regs required fire barrier protections and raised other issues. So they decided to return the spaces to vented "as-built" condition. A crew (about 4 workers) spent less than a day (6 hours?) re-installing fiberglass insulation between the joists. I estimate the 4,000 sq ft of R-19 CertainTeed Kraft-Faced Fiber Glass at the local Menards would have cost the contractor about $1,600.

My question: What would be a reasonable price for this job?

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
The job is done and paid for--Look at the bill---your answer is there.

Reasonable is what a seller and buyer agree upon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Waaay overcharged?

The job is done and paid for--Look at the bill---your answer is there.

Reasonable is what a seller and buyer agree upon.
Unfortunately, they are resisting disclosing the invoice (they are consulting a lawyer) and I am contending they were waaay overcharged. I'd simply like to get some professional estimates to sense if I am waaay out of line.:wink:

BTW, last night I couldn't sign in with this membership and ended up re-registering.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Not knowing the site ---Usually $1.00 per square foot on the cheap end to $1.50 or so.

I haven't had a pro install insulation in some time--so these prices could be low.

If you have a library or Borders book shop near by Look at the estimating books by RS Means or the Craftsman series.----They have pricing by region----the books are updated yearly--the book store might have the up to date volume.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts