DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using old work boxes I have mounted timers to control bathroom fans.
The plate for each timer sticks out from the drywall surface 2/32" or 3/32".
Is there a gasket that is made to fill this gap?
Anyone else have this problem?
Caulking is not my first choice to solve this.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
The plastic old work boxes? Yeah, most old work boxes make the device flush to the wall. And some plates are very small. I like the P&S unbreakable plates, they should be enough to cover the gap you are talking about.

I don't know of any gasket, but there might be.

Picture?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I know exactly what you are dealing with. A different cover plate may help. The nylon plates we use seem to have a little more depth than the oldschool ones.

If that wont do it, try to tighten the box more so it sucks into the drywall a bit.You might even have to use your razor knife and take out a tiny bit of the drywall paper.

Be careful.

·
Banned
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know exactly what you are dealing with. A different cover plate may help. The nylon plates we use seem to have a little more depth than the oldschool ones.

If that wont do it, try to tighten the box more so it sucks into the drywall a bit.You might even have to use your razor knife and take out a tiny bit of the drywall paper.

Be careful.
Yes, I think I'll abrade or cut away some of the drywall surface so the box sits farther into the wall.:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.