DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is redoing her garage into a hot glass studio.

She wants to put up corrugated metal panels as the interior walls for fire purposes.

She wants in insulate the walls-I am unsure on this. There will be kilns and a glory hole inside. These reach internal temperatures of anywhere from 0 to 2250. I am not too sure she will want the insulation. Hotter than blazes in the summer. The fall is good weather but the winter is best. My 2 arguments/concerns: 1)temp and 2)the concept of moisture.

Once the insulation is figured, then the next question would be vapor barrier. I think she has wood siding although I am not sure. Would the metal benefit from a vapor barrier, or would her siding? Remember constant fluctuations of temp.

And the last....I am trying to figure out if there is a way to mount the metal right on top of studs. If they are 18 on center and it depends on what metal she can get etc....but say it works out or we cut it to work out....is there an insert to put in the arch to sit flush atop a 2x4 or should i just use washers and flatten it atop a stud?

If anybody has experience with metal benders like the siding or gutter guys use, would that be in anyway helpful to crimp ends of metal for corner fasteners?

Thanks for any advice!

·
retired framer
59,844 Posts
I think I would leave the stud bays empty and use an insulation behind the metal.
I would add an extraction fan controlled by a humidistat to deal with humidity and extra heat.

·
Naildriver
16,993 Posts
Or use Roxul (Rockwool) insulation. Fireproof, water proof, mold proof, vermin proof, and needs no vapor barrier. Neal would that be like a diaper?

·
retired framer
59,844 Posts
Or use Roxul (Rockwool) insulation. Fireproof, water proof, mold proof, vermin proof, and needs no vapor barrier. Neal would that be like a diaper?
It is different than normal thinking for sure. I think the idea of the metal is to protect the wood from the heat but a heat shield doesn't touch wood.

I am not sure insulation is needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.