DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm double checking on what an electrician told me. He recommended 20 amp buss fuse for socket circuits, and 15 amp buss fuse for lighting circuits. Is this correct?

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
it would depend on what size the circuit wire is. You can install a 20 amp fuse on nothing smaller than a #12 wire and a 15 amp fuse on nothing smaller than a #14 wire.

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
All it depending on the conductor size if you have 2.5mm²{#14 AWG} then you have to use 15 amp fuse while the 4.0mm²{#12 AWG } it have to be 20 amp fuse size { yeah you can use smaller fuse on this one escpally with long run to prevent voltage drop issue }

Merci.
Marc

·
Chicago, IL
1,037 Posts

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
I'm double checking on what an electrician told me. He recommended 20 amp buss fuse for socket circuits, and 15 amp buss fuse for lighting circuits. Is this correct?
As a blanket statement he is dangerously incorrect.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm not an electrician, but I think it is the smallest wire in the circuit that determines what you can do at the panel. I mean, just because you might have a 12g wire in the panel, maybe it's only a few feet long and is then connected to a smaller 14g wire for the rest of the circuit. DIYers did silly stuff back in the day too, not just now. If you don't know what size to screw in, a licensed electrician should inspect the entire circuit to figure that out. Overloaded wires are one of the major causes of fires, so don't GUESS and don't ASSUME everything downstream of the panel meets code. Here's one time to pay the pro.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts