DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

Sorry if a similar question has been asked before, but I have not been able to find relevant posts here. So here it goes:

I am building a small fish pond below my house.
A digger has hammered out a few tons of rock from a rock hillside, so I have a flat (though uneven) surface on where to build this pond. The surface will at it's most be about 2 metres from the wall to the edge.

I live in Norway, so there is guaranteed frost during the winter months, and lots of rain. This makes me wonder... How do I make sure to prevent the pond from frost damage? I have made sure the flat bottom surface of the stone will get drained when water gets underneath the pond. But I have no clue how to make my pond as durable as possible.

Do I (A) pour the concrete directly on the stone, and use a ton of rebar into the mountain to make sure the water doesn't lift the pond from the bed it lies on?

Do I (B) first cover the stone with gravel, to make sure water can flow underneath the concrete and away?

Do I (C) make a few concrete footings directly onto the mountain, and then pour the concrete so the pool has only a few points touching the ground?

Or am I way off and need to go in a complete other direction?

I would hate it if I have to do this over, so it isn't a problem if I have to over engineer this pond. I just want to get it right the first time :)

·
retired framer
59,756 Posts
I think for the bottom I would form it up for a thicker floor and then put lines of gravel from back to front and tie in the rebar to the rock. and cover the lines of gravel with poly to keep the concrete out of it.

Attachments

·
retired framer
59,756 Posts
Hah, don't I feel smart :vs_laugh:

There are some cracks, and I think some water will seep through when it is raining. Not a lot, but moisture will get through.
Then looking at your picture C I would do that with the lines of gravel that I posted.

·
retired framer
59,756 Posts
Nice, I never thought about this alternative. I'm assuming those gravel lines are going from the wall and to the edge. Or are they going parallell to the wall?
From the back where you will have gravel between the pond and the rock to the front where it can run down hill. :wink2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.