DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at my in-laws house and the inside corners above the shower are cracking now for the second time in probably five years above the shower. Could this be from moisture in the shower and inadequate bathroom vent fan? The mirror does steam over pretty easily. They want to get this fixed again but if it's just going to keep happening without a new fan they'd replace that as well. Just curious on opinions.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,815 Posts
Could be any number of problems. Could be a poor taping job or maybe they didn't even tape that corner. Could be the weight of bathwater pulling down on the framing in the tub/shower area. Could be the moisture issue. At this point, you need to install a bathroom exhaust fan that exhausts to the outside, not the attic. Then, repair that corner with proper drywall tape and a 3 layer mud job. Sand when done, prime, and paint.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It could be due to inadequate exhaust. But what is on the other side of the wall?

If it's the outside, I've seen this (or similar cracks) occur because of the differences in temperatures which caused expansion and contraction of the joint seam.

Try using elastomeric spackling this time and press as much into the seam as you can before laying another length of joint tape (and use the fiberglass weave-not paper).

If that seam fails again I'd offer as suggestions caulking or installing some inside corner beading or small 1/4 round.

·
Registered
37,181 Posts
Adding more screws may help keeping it from moving causing the crack.

·
Everything drywall
49 Posts
I have found the the reason a crack keeps reappearing is because the framing and there is to much moment for the tape to hold. In you case there are two studs that make the corner, one will be part of the outside wall which more then likely is not moving however the interior wall may have some movement in that is more than the tape can handle. You may be able to strengthen the interior wall with a but for framing from the floor below but personally taking apart the corner and building it properly is your best solution.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
It was taped and then retaped after paper tape was removed with mesh tape
This will never hold in this situation. This tape has NO strength vertical and should only be used with hot mud (powdered Dura bond). Push on the wall at the crack and see if there is movement if there is add a couple screws. Then tear out the mesh tape clean up the corner the use the hot mud for your first coat and bury your tape in this coat then finish with all purpose mud. And yes no fan and moisture will add to the problem plus could cause more problems.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Moisture can be a factor, but in this case it doesn't look to be a controlling factor. If it was, usually the compound would get softened, and in addition to the crack you show, it would usually appear a little "swollen" each side of the crack. This looks like framing movement to me. Adding more screws isn't going to help. If you look at the crack, it's still good in the upper corner and on the upper angles, so it's the two wall framings moving relative to each other

1 - 9 of 9 Posts