DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Brains trust,

The wife and I are updating our corner fireplace. Looking to put up some cement board on the wall and tile it or use ardex featherlite. How would we frame the wall section so we can put up the board? Not looking to close off the entire corner just match the width of the fireplace itself. It looks like the framing next to the fireplace cut the length of the wood on an angle. Not sure how to do that.

https://imgur.com/I6UpM0X

Thanks in advance,

Dave

·
retired framer
59,813 Posts
Measure back from the face of the mantle the same on both sides
Measure and place the bottom plate
Use a level and draw a plumb line from each end up to he ceiling
Measure cut and install top plate.

Install studs
You can rip a stud for each side to fill the ends.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is very helpful thank you so much. I have a mitre saw and a laser level and I'm feeling good that i now have a plan of attack. Picking up some 2x4's tomorrow and ill keep you updated with the progress. Thanks again for the awesome reply and drawing.

·
Naildriver
16,978 Posts
I still like the inset of the top part, leaving a mantel as well as a surface to mount a TV outside the confines of the heat vector. Agree with Neal, you can frame it with 2x4's, but be sure to install blocking where your TV mount will be above.

Here's the last one we did with faux rock.

Attachments

Reactions: Nealtw
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.