DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Minnesota. Due to a poorly placed (and too long ignored) downspout, I have a corner block of my garage that has appeared to have washed away. Downspout has been relocated, but asphalt driveway apron needs replacement and damage is now obvious. The corner is away from the house. No other damage is obvious.

I'm going to tear out the asphalt apron and have a cement apron put in. The concrete guy says not to bother replacing the block and just to fill with concrete when the apron is poured. Does this plan sound reasonable? Seems ok to me, but I'd feel more confident knowing what others in the industry think. There is no other apparent settling or no damage to the garage slab itself.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I have a corner block of my garage that has appeared to have washed away.
It's hard to imagine a concrete block just washing away, at 40 or so lbs, and no other damage. Do you think it eroded? Got loose and a previous owner just hauled it out? This is interesting. Any photos?

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,890 Posts
It sounds like it eroded from both the water, as well as the freeze-thaw conditions present. It's a fairly common situation around here. I'd warn against letting the concrete be poured and interlocked into the garage foundation if it has full 4' frost protection depth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts