DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
25,768 Posts
I had a taper do a basement for me--he used the paper corners---that job worked well with no call backs---I'm not saying the paper corners are bad---I just tend to stay with what has always yielded good results for me--

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
what happens when the house settles? or the wood shrinks? you nail that in to the framing the corner bead moves with the wood not the sheetrock and you get cracks. it is just so much faster to run a bead through a mud hopper and roll the bead on then top it sand and done. no fuss no muss. no nail pops no cracks.

·
Registered
683 Posts
fix'n it you did the right thing. now do atleast the first coat over the metal bead with easy sand then do the additional coats with a finishing compound.
People have to remember this is a diy site. You can't expect a homeowner to run out and rent a corner roller at $35 a day( there isnt even a place to rent one here) and buy a bottle of mud max for what $10-15 a bottle for say 1-2 corners. also the average person on here isn't building a whole new house so structural movement is minimal. and repairing a metal bead is pretty user friendly and there is lots of info on this site if one gets damaged. i personally do not like paper faced beads and will not use them after i've seen so many houses with them and the issues i've seen with them.

·
Retired Moderator
25,768 Posts
You will be fine----The metal beads are good as long as you follow the instructions you have received----

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Guys there is a reason they make all those different corner beads is they all work just figure out what works for you. Each one has advantages and disadvantages, I have tried all of them, some I like some I don't, some I dislike to the point I won't use them.
Since you have decided which bead you are going to use lets address some of the other advice you have gotten. A roller would do you no good to get metal bead straight use a 4' level. Use nails instead of screws Yes. I didn't see where anyone recommend Mud Max but if you can get it I would say go ahead it will make your mud dry harder, then you wouldn't need the hot mud. Use it in every coat but your last as this makes your mud much stronger, but if you use it in the topcoat it will make it hard to sand.

·
Registered
8,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
bead is all on and i used the hot mud for the first coat. the green lid 2nd coat is drying now. a few more coats and a touch up sand then prime/paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
764 Posts
Do any of you use paper tape in conjunction with metal bead, overlapping the bead and wall? I've been told that can reduce the chances of cracks forming along the vertical edge of the bead wall-side edge.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts