DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a Cork Plank Floor in my basement. It seems pretty easy but I still have a few questions. The walls in this room were just finished and I just completed the closet. I spent the afternoon removing the carpet and the tack board thingy's that hold the carpet down. Next I will fill the cracks and holes with "TEC Skim coat and patch". After that dries I will lay down a moisture barrier, that looks like plastic drop cloth! Then the floor.

1) The room is a rectangle. The planks are 36"x12". should I lay them the long way? To mee it seems that I would have an easier time with the door and the closet if I lay them the long way.

2) What do I do about this drain plug? It's been under carpet for twenty plus years, how do I make it look nice?

3) I am going to put base board around the room but how do I treat the floor against the closet? I don't want to put base board on the closet. I was thinking a strip of quarter round or just try to butt it up as close and neat as I can.

4) Similar question about the stairs. The stairs are going to be redone, most likely oak. It won't be for awhile. I think there is plywood under the carpet. How should I fit the floor against it? Tight or away some? Can I fix the floor when the stairs are installed?

I appreciate any input you can give.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm surprised I didn't get any answers but that's OK. Sometimes I make these threads as a way to take notes for myself!

I'm thinking not many people(Americans) are familiar with cork. It is really popular in Europe and I married a German sooooo... It's nice stuff though. It is basically like engineered would flooring. The stuff I bough is a standard click together floating floor.

I have been studying like mad and have decided that I have to put down self leveling compound, which I had never even heard of before this project. I am going to buy the materials tonight. (This step should take care of my drain problem).

·
Registered
37,174 Posts
There is no need to fill in those small pot holes, the flooring will span them without issue.
That clean out does need to remain assessable though.

Reactions: Hurriken
1 - 3 of 3 Posts