DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok we've changed our mind and want to go with corian. What are pluses and minuses of is type of countertop? Thanks a lot...sorry to be a PIA !!

·
Super Moderator
13,834 Posts
Corian is nice but in the long run it loses it sheen and starts looking dull. It can be polished back up but that is just another step in maintaining a counter top.

Like stated, it will bubble and can crack if a hot object comes in contact with it. It will shatter but not easily. Some of the lighter colors will stain after the sheen starts to wear off. It can be cut and shaped with carbide tools, fairly easy to work with, smells like bondo when cutting or shaping.

·
Super Moderator
13,834 Posts

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Mister Lucky:

You should be aware that Corian is made out of the same plastic that Plexiglas is; polymethyl methacrylate. The difference is that in Corian, they add natural clays to the plastic before casting it into it's final shape to give it colour, opacity and to make it look something like synthetic marble. There is no ROCK of any kind in Corian's production besides those natural clays. It is a plastic counter top.

As a result, Corian is damaged by anything that will harm Plexiglas. Strong solvents like acetone, lacquer thinner, MEK or nail polish remover will dissolve Corian. Knives will leave cut marks on Corian, and being relatively soft compared to granite, it will scratch up and show wear much faster than granite.

Granite is a very hard rock and therefore wears down very much slower than softer rocks like marble. This is the reason granite is universally used for tomb stones. It's very much harder than Corian, and therefore very much more durable. About the only thing I can think of that Corian would be more resistant to would be strong acids which would etch Granite but wouldn't harm Corian any more than they'd harm Plexiglas.

If you can afford granite, and you're planning to keep this counter top and house for a long time, I'd urge you to reconsider your decision and opt for granite counter tops instead.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
I'm with everyone above... Corian... for high use places which is it's usual application, has poor wear/utility characteristics...it's plastic.

Seems to me that between granite and Silestones (other maufactires names also) is a tradeoff of beuuty/aesthetics verse sanitary iisues.

Natural stone has depth of beauty, but it is porous and does not clean (in the sense of sanitary) as well as the silestone manufactered stone.

I do love granites... but the silestones have become very popular in certain areas of the country.

Best

1 - 14 of 14 Posts