DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious…

What cordless tools do you use in your home shop/yard? I’m not interested in a debate over which is “better” (there are plenty of YouTube videos about that subject) , i just would like to see what is actually getting used day to day.

Among my tools I have:

Dewalt 18-v
½” drill
Circular saw

Black & Decker
3/8” drill
Weed trimmer

Ryobi
½” drill
Impact driver
Orbital sander
Leaf blower
Chainsaw

·
retired painter
11,951 Posts
I like for all my cordless tools to use the same battery. I use 19.2 craftsman. I don't have any cordless yard tools but if I did, they would each share the same battery.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,603 Posts
I like for all my cordless tools to use the same battery. I use 19.2 craftsman. I don't have any cordless yard tools but if I did, they would each share the same battery.
I did the same as you Mike many many years ago, and almost all my cordless are Craftsman C3 19.2.......however, with the demise/availability/pricing of Craftsman today, I'm disappointed as I need a new recip and some replacements are getting difficult...

However, I'm retired and now basically too old to switch over....I think I would go with either Ridgid (or honestly) maybe Royabi......my son in law (non commercial home owner) has started with Royabi....and I've been pretty impressed by their quality and value.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,603 Posts
Mike also....kinda makes me mad as Craftsman coming out with a different set-up in their 20 volt series.....really, is there any significant difference in a 19.2 berse a 20. Now 19.2 is getting hard to find...

·
Naildriver
14,477 Posts
I use Makita platform stuff. I have two older tools that I can't do without and don't plan on replacing them. They are Dewalt XRP jig saw and 15 gauge finish nailer. They work well, so why change them at this point.

·
Registered
Building my last home
1,404 Posts
I have the 20v Dewalt platform works for me. I like my cordless grinder a lot. Not good for a steel fab shop but I am not that fast nor cut that thick of material.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
DeWalt 20 v Max is what I am migrating to.
Yard tools, hand tools, interchangeable batteries for all.
I"ve got about 7 tools so far.

·
Naildriver
14,477 Posts
What about the adapters
My only experience was converting my two Dewalt tools from 18v XRP to lighter weight 20v batteries. The batteries lasted through about 2 cuts with a jig saw before they died. Not impressed with that conversion at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dewalt 20v, Milwaukee mostly M18 and a few M12 but the charger accepts both. Mower, string trimmer, and blower all are EGO and share the same battery. One charge usually usually is enough but my yard is not that big.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My only experience was converting my two Dewalt tools from 18v XRP to lighter weight 20v batteries. The batteries lasted through about 2 cuts with a jig saw before they died. Not impressed with that conversion at all.
18v and 20v are actually the same output, companies saying 18v are more honest and use the average voltage whereas 20v is for marketing and uses max/peak voltage. The internal configuration is identical. The low runtime you experienced would be either an old battery or, more likely, just a lower amp hour battery (lighter weight)

For the original question, all the cordless tools I use are Metabo (not HPT), but I do large-scale commercial work. They are pricey and honestly not the best bang for buck anymore. New guys starting out I usually recommend the US made Dewalt models since I've seen less of them burn up on jobs than other big box brands, and they're a good value.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I use to have a few different ones, Craftsman 19.2, Dewalt 18 and Milwaukee M12. Dewalt stuff was a end of life, and wanted a single battery platform, so which over to Milwaukee completely. Mostly M18 with some M12. Been satisfied with the switch. Table saw , leaf blower , chainsaw have been fairly impressed with. Have quite abit of the other tools too.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The only cordless tools that I have, which I use all the time, are drills and impact drivers. I can’t imagine using a corded model for what I use them for, but I also have two corded drills for hole saws or mixing drywall mud.

Every other tool that I use (except for the obvious like a multimeter or stud sensor) is corded or powered by gasoline, just because I think that their power usage is such that the batteries wouldn’t last (when I use the chainsaw, string trimmer or leaf blower I often use more than a tank of fuel). It all depends on the usage. I persuaded my mom to buy a battery powered lawnmower for her modest lawn, and that has worked out really well.

My shop has an adequate number of electrical outlets, so I don’t find using an extension cord for, say, the track saw gets in the way. The bigger problem is the vacuum hose to collect the dust. I like knowing that the cut won’t be impacted by the available power.

If I were a contractor taking my tools to a jobsite with uncertain electrical availability, I might have a different opinion.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
10% 20v Craftsman All the 20 volt stuff still works getting old
60% Ryobi One 18V
30% Dewalt 20V All the Dewalt was purchased this yr.

Probably have at least 50 cordless tools. Full sets in 4 locations. Yard tools too Chainsaws ,weed whackers.

·
Registered
For pleasure Woodworking and Furniture Building
95 Posts
It all started with the Dewalt 20V drill and impact set I picked up off the clearance rack for $150 about 10 years ago Everything we (construction company) have now or will buy that is cordless is Dewalt and we have a lot of tools. We don't buy them because we love the brand, we buy them because we are on the 20V max platform.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Pretty much all in on the DeWalt platform for cordless tools. I still use several corded tools where I don't think cordless is cutting it yet. For example, I have a Bosch corded drill for pocket hole work if I'm building a large furniture piece. Pocket holes apparently take a lot of oomph and amp hours quickly. Hand orbital sanders as well, since they can end up getting used for long periods of time on larger work pieces. Several other tools; circ saw, recip saw, planer, etc., still not cordless.

The 40V platform is also good for yard tools and we've got a string trimmer and hedge trimmer on that platform.So yeah... pretty much a yellow and black family now. I'm sure the other platforms for higher end consumer or base level commercial are fine as well. But DeWalt was winning the variety/selection war back when I made the choice.

The full cordless list for general home use and a fair amount of woodworking...

All DeWalt 20V
  • 2 'regular' drills
  • 1 hammer drill
  • 1 angle drill
  • caulking gun
  • power inflator
  • shop fan (which we'll also use in camping tent on a hot night.)
  • circular saw, (regret this one.. It's ok, but binds up on longer cuts of plywood and certainly no good for demolition of old stuff.)
Batteries
* I have a collection of batteries. They are numbered with a sharpie along with the month/year acquired so I can see when they go bad. I have bought whole tool kits when on sale just to acquire cheap price on batteries. The battery chargers are on a power strip with a timer attached. So when I charge them, I use the time so it goes off after a few hours. I realize the modern battery chargers and not supposed to cause problems if you just leave them there, but I'm not sure I trust that so this just shuts down power and I don't have to worry about it at all.

Yard on 40V Max
  • Hedge trimmer
  • String trimmer. (Don't love the design of the spool; pain in tail to re-load; at least the starting of it and then loading the cartridge back. Tool works fine once this part is done though.)

* DeWalt Cordless screwdriver, which I think is an 8V

The only thing cordless not on DeWalt is our Ego lawnmower. We probably would have gone DeWalt on this too, but they didn't have a mower at the time we got ours. Perfectly happen with the choice, the Ego mower gets things done fine for our 5,000 sq ft yard on one charge. Oh... one other item; we do have a Ryobi inspection camera that uses an 8V battery.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts