DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing Timbertex ridge caps this weekend.
Has anyone installed this product.
http://www.cor-a-vent.com/v400.cfm
I am either going to use this or ridgevent ii that some people have liked. The ridgevent ii looks very thin to me, but I think it rates high with air flow. My local building supply store recommended the cor-a-vent. THANKS

·
Solutions (handyman)
455 Posts
vent

I have used several types of ridge vents and they all seem to do the job. Where I am my concern was whether temperature might be an issue with the material cracking but it all seems to stand up fine. The brand names vary and I would just look for a ridge vent that is easy to install, has some mesh or other anti bug element (to prevent bugs from entering the house) and is flexible. Most major home improvement stores have former roofers on staff so get their suggestions and make a somewhat informed decission. Personally I wouldn't get too hung up on a brand name ... for this product.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dabs of sealant

Thanks for the replies. :thumbsup:Since it's getting cold her on Long Island do you recommend adding a couple of dabs of sealant per cap to keep them down. The days of 65 degrees and above weather are gone for at least another 4 months. The Timbertex is pretty thick stuff.

·
Registered
287 Posts
zman22 said:
Thanks for the replies. :thumbsup:Since it's getting cold her on Long Island do you recommend adding a couple of dabs of sealant per cap to keep them down. The days of 65 degrees and above weather are gone for at least another 4 months. The Timbertex is pretty thick stuff.
When we used to install GAF products and the timbertex, we would use 2.75" hand nails along with the snow country. Never had any problems even during winter installations.

·
11,730 Posts

·
Doing This Way Too Long
1,189 Posts
Wind-blown light powder snow will infiltrate cora-vent. I've seen it on several roofs. Crawl up in the attic space and see berms of snow in a nice straight line. It obviously doesn't happen ALL the time. I'm just saying it is possible in just the right conditions. That is why I stopped using it. Strictly ShingleVent II by Airvent for me anymore.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've never been a fan of coravent. My personal preference in ridge vent is Air Vent Shingle Vent II. You can also try Cobra II, which is a copy of the Shingle Vent II. Don't mess with the original cobra roll. Never tried the snow country ridge vent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts