DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's everyone doing?

I just changed my water main from the meter to my house with 3/4" copper piping. A friend of mine told me that I should use some sand as backfill.

Is this true? If so, what type of sand should I use. He gave advise but did not have a clue on what type of sand. lol

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
If you have rocky soil you should have about 6" of sand all the way around your pipe. Good clean dirt works too. The idea is to keep rocks away from the pipe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TheEplumber said:
If you have rocky soil you should have about 6" of sand all the way around your pipe. Good clean dirt works too. The idea is to keep rocks away from the pipe.
Thanks for the quick reply.
So any sand will work? Looking at the local hardware store website, they have a few different types?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply.
So any sand will work? Looking at the local hardware store website, they have a few different types?

Thank you
Yep, any sand. If your line is long, consider buying a few yards and having it delivered might be cheaper. Should put some sand under the pipe too. But to be honest, I don't bed with sand very often. I just make sure all rocks are at least 6" from the when I back fill.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TheEplumber said:
Yep, any sand. If your line is long, consider buying a few yards and having it delivered might be cheaper. Should put some sand under the pipe too. But to be honest, I don't bed with sand very often. I just make sure all rocks are at least 6" from the when I back fill.
Thanks again for all of the advise. My dirt is great so think I will just back fill with it.

Have a great weekend.

·
Doing it myself
3,838 Posts
Keep in mind that having a different soil/rock for backfill makes it nice to locate the pipe later, as you can see the ditch line when you dig.

Use 3/4 minus gravel or sand to backfill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts