DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to go ahead and make an investment in tools. The stainless bands seem easier and more convenient but are they as reliable? Only doing small installs and repairs not whole house stuff.

Brands to look for and to run away screaming from?

· Registered
37,499 Posts
The stainless steel bands are harder to find. Any local box store or hardware store's going to have the brass ones.

· Premium Member
13,086 Posts

· Wire Chewer
3,600 Posts
I guess this is more a personal choice but I personaly prefer the crimp method. The fittings and rings are reasonably priced and the tool is not THAT expensive (about 200 bucks). The expansion method looks pretty good too, I think that's probably another one worth looking into.

But go with whatever you see at the hardware store, no use in trying to go with a system where the parts will be hard to get in the future. Crimp and Expansion seem like the most popular. And of course there's always Sharkbite fittings for those quick small jobs. But it's worthwhile to buy the tools if you plan to do a lot.

· Thread killer
306 Posts
I guess this is more a personal choice but I personaly prefer the crimp method. The fittings and rings are reasonably priced and the tool is not THAT expensive (about 200 bucks). The expansion method looks pretty good too, I think that's probably another one worth looking into.

But go with whatever you see at the hardware store, no use in trying to go with a system where the parts will be hard to get in the future. Crimp and Expansion seem like the most popular. And of course there's always Sharkbite fittings for those quick small jobs. But it's worthwhile to buy the tools if you plan to do a lot.
I use the expansion method and I love it, but the tools aren't cheap. If it's only a few fittings or a one time deal, I would use either crimp or cinch rings, whatever is available to you. They're both reliable, if done correctly

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input.

It is occasional and I expect it to be in a variety of sizes. The supply house I use as well as HD here locally stock the stainless clamps. They are a little more pricy then the copper rings, but not by much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.