DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Electrical Enthusiast
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently helped out with a kitchen remodel that included replacing an old thermador double oven and cooktop (from around 1980) with newer models. I happened to notice that the old appliances were hardwired (with split bolts) to the same 3 wire #6 AWG 50 amp circuit. Was this ever a legal arrangement?

The head contractor made the old box into a junction box and wired in two new receptacles for both the double oven and the new cooktop (both from the same circuit). I've never seen an arrangement quite like it.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
It depends on the total amperage of the two appliances that were old and same for the new. Stuff like this when you come across it, just makes you shake your head and fix it.

As long as it is done correctly now. I would not worry about the before. Just make sure your GC and the sub's are following the agreement that you and the GC came to, and if any issues, always challenge them on it. I do hope that you have someone watching the watcher.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.