DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife who has cooked with gas stoves for 50 years, hates the flat top glass electric stove we have now. She says it is too hard to keep the even cooking temperature's needed, with the electric element going on and off... while cycling. And she says... it takes too long to heat up. ?????

There is NO way I can get a "over the stove mounted" fan forced exhaust vented to the outside horizontally , as our stove sits against a interior wall. I had to work on commercial kitchen roof top mounted exhaust hoods for years. So knowing them well, I do not want a vertical hood exhaust ducting going through our homes roof. (grease buildup)

So I am concerned with my wife having COPD, whether or not she should be cooking with natural gas with a stove, that is unvented to the outside.

My gut feeling is telling me that I need to talk her out of wanting and getting, a gas stove.

·
Exterior Construction
26,747 Posts
Any combustion appliance inside a sealed up space without some venting is a bad idea in my opinion. I don't care how clean they burn. The reality is that you are making CO...plain and simple. If you aren't venting it, its a non-starter for me.

·
Super Moderator
20,923 Posts
I don't see any difference for grease build up between vertical and horizontal. In fact I would expect horizontal to be worse. Also this not a commercial application. There will be nowhere near as much use in the home as the commercial use.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
A flat top glass stove would be an induction cook top.
I would like to switch that around a bit,

An induction cook top would also have a flat glass surface. Not all flat glass surface cook tops are induction.

As a person who cooks a lot and as someone who has pretty bad ADD and probably a touch of OCD, I can understand what your wife is going through. Yes, an electric, non-induction, cook top will heat slower than a gas cook top. It will be harder to control as it does cycle off and on.

An induction cook top is the fastest cook top available for home use. And is also one of the safest. But it does require cookware that is magnetic as it creates a magnetic field to create heat.

Most home chefs prefer gas as it is easiest to control and is very affordable.

Venting for your home is NOT the same as commercial venting. You do not run it non-stop 14 hours a day (if not longer) with multiple cooking surfaces including deep fryers.

A home OTR vent hood will run occasionally throughout the day and is mostly used to vent odor and not grease, etc. That should be caught in the mesh filter to be washed away in the dishwasher.

I hope that helps.

Reactions: joed

·
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't see any difference for grease build up between vertical and horizontal. In fact I would expect horizontal to be worse. Also this not a commercial application. There will be nowhere near as much use in the home as the commercial use.

Sorry, I was not clear in my OP. When I said horizonal, I meant our stove was not sitting on a exterior wall. To where I could just vent the hood positioned over the stove, right out of the back of it horizontally.

Which if it was, I would only have to consider the exterior wall thickness and brick = only about a 9 in. run of horizonal duct needed. The vented grease vapors/odors would then just be traveling in a 9 in. long duct VERY little time.

Probably not even long enough for the grease vapors to cool off and form the solid grease that sticks to the duct that can cause fire issues.

For me to go vertical with a exhaust hood duct, I would have around a 3 ft. long section of duct going through the attic and through the roof. And if I did not take the vent duct at least a foot above the roof, then whenever we get a good snow, it could cover the vent cap of the exhaust duct.

So that is around 4 ft. of sheet metal duct ran vertically needed for a roof discharge. And these residential grade 30 inch wide "over the stove" exhaust hoods, do not have near the CFM output rating of the commercial units and do not move the vapors near as fast.

We cannot afford a new induction unit, so while using Windows advice here I will present my case to the MS. I think she will understand the reasoning for her to not use a unvented gas stove.

And after doing some searching now, I believe in some states now residential gas stoves are not legal to use in kitchens, without them having full exterior, discharge venting over them.

Thanks all,

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I want to apologize, I ms-read. I saw COPD and read OCD. But I do have asthma so I do understand what your wife goes through at times. I just can't get it in, she can't get it out.

I do have a gas stove on an interior wall. Mine is an OTR Microwave with a fantastic fan. The ductwork in the attic is insulated, so not much cooling goes in the few feet it runs in the attic.

Don't let your work in commercial kitchen influence your views on home kitchen venting.

They do have grease filters on the them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts