DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, I'm very new to this. My current house has a switched outlet. I wanted to make it Un-Switched since I already have a ceiling Fan/Light.

I removed the electrical outlet cover and noted the diagram to be something like this:

Top/Bot Right side-> White Wire
Top Left side: Green/Blue-ish wire. (Top and bottom connection were broken off so they are not connected)
Bottom Left side: black wire.

What I did was, I put in a new outlet that had left side connected, and removed the Green/Blue-ish wire and replaced it with black wire. So right side, I had 2 white wire, right side, I had 2 black wire.

This worked great for me. However, now I noticed that whenever I turn on the ceiling fan it did not work at first. Nothing was happening.

Then I took it back out and re-seated everything, to make sure they are properly connected. Now when I turn on the ceiling fan, my entire electric on my room goes out. I have to reset the power when I do that.

Maybe I didn't ground it right the 2nd time? or maybe the green wire is touching something else? Could that be why ceiling fan causes the entire power to go out in my room.

What can I do here?

P.S. I did not remove the cover for the switch yet since it is glued to the wall together with chalk or something.

Thanks for the help,
I know I sound like an idiot.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
sounds like you cannot make your switched outlet unswitched from that box.
white green and black sound like normal wires for an outlet.
to undo the switching you need to go to the switch box.

as for blowing the breaker with the fan,
you have miss wired something
or you have wires touching in the box

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hello Everyone, I'm very new to this. My current house has a switched outlet. I wanted to make it Un-Switched since I already have a ceiling Fan/Light.

I removed the electrical outlet cover and noted the diagram to be something like this:

Top/Bot Right side-> White Wire
Top Left side: Green/Blue-ish wire. (Top and bottom connection were broken off so they are not connected)
Bottom Left side: black wire.

What I did was, I put in a new outlet that had left side connected, and removed the Green/Blue-ish wire and replaced it with black wire. So right side, I had 2 white wire, right side, I had 2 black wire.

This worked great for me. However, now I noticed that whenever I turn on the ceiling fan it did not work at first. Nothing was happening.

Then I took it back out and re-seated everything, to make sure they are properly connected. Now when I turn on the ceiling fan, my entire electric on my room goes out. I have to reset the power when I do that.

Maybe I didn't ground it right the 2nd time? or maybe the green wire is touching something else? Could that be why ceiling fan causes the entire power to go out in my room.

What can I do here?

P.S. I did not remove the cover for the switch yet since it is glued to the wall together with chalk or something.

Thanks for the help,
I know I sound like an idiot.
First so we can understand each other, forget left side right side. Look at the new outlet. There are brass colored screws on one side and silver colored screws on the other side. Your black wire(s) would get hooked to the brass screws, and your white wire(s) would get hooked to the silver screws. The green or bare wire would geg hooked to the green screw on the outlet.
From your description i am confused as to how many wires you have in the outlet box. Please clarify. We are probably going to need to know what wires are in the switch box. To take off that cover, use a razor blade in a utility knife to cut thru the caulk, and then remove that cover. Remove the switch but dont take any wires off of it, and pull out any other wires in the switchbox and take a picture and post it.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
First let me say that I agree with Jeff, forget left and right. What is on the left is on the right if you simply turn the outlet over. The silver screws are the neutral (white). The brass and sometimes black screws are the hot (black).
Next, white is neutral (most of the time), green and bare are ground. Black and other colors are hot. I say white is neutral most of the time because it can be used as a hot. When a white is used as a hot it is supposed to be re-designated by coloring it some other color on each end. This is usually done by putting black electricians tape on each end. However, this is often not done, not even by the pros.

The grounding system (bare or green) is there for safety purposes. It is not a part of the electrical circuity. The bare or green are never connected to the other wires and the other wires are never connected to the grounding wires.

A wire is a wire, a cable is two or more wires in an outer covering. When ever possible you need to talk cables. If you say a white wire we don't know which white wire you are speaking of. You need to say white wire of a certain cable.

You said you have a switched outlet. You didn't say that one half of the outlet was switched and the other half was live all the time. So the first question is "Is the entire outlet switched or only a portion"

You said;
I put in a new outlet that had left side connected, and removed the Green/Blue-ish wire and replaced it with black wire.
When you did that, you connected a hot wire to the grounding system.

Seeing as you did that, I question this statement;
(Top and bottom connection were broken off so they are not connected)
When we say the connection is broken we are referring to the connection between the two brass screws. Since you connected a hot to the grounding screw, I suspect that you looked and saw that there was no connection between the grounding screw and the brass screws. as there should never be.

With all that being said, it is implied by your post that you have two cables, each with a black and white wire, and that the entire outlet was switched.

If that is correct, connect the black and white wires of one cable to the outlet. Put wire nuts on the black and white wires of the other cable. Turn the power back on. If the outlet is live you chose the correct cable.

If you have no power at the outlet, remove the wires you have connected to the outlet and put wire nuts on them. Connect the black and white wires of the other cable to the outlet.

The switch will be ineffective.

·
Registered
9,029 Posts
The green or bare wire that was connected to the bare metal mountung strip (yoke) that holds the receptacle unit in the box may only be connected to the same kind of metal strip on the new receptacle.

If you connected thge new receptacle, with the tab between the gold screws still in place, the same way the old receptacle was connected, then everything should have worked correctly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hello,

Thank you guys for the help.

This is what I have for my switched outlet (Nothing is connected on left side):

As for the electrical outlet. This is the one I bought: Leviton T5320-W 15 Amp (Please look for it on Amazon).

I've made sure the 2 black wires are connected to brass color. The 2 white writes are connected to silver. As for the green one, I was not sure what to put there. I assumed it was ground so there was a orange-ish wire, so I've connected that to it.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hello,

Thank you guys for the help.

This is what I have for my switched outlet (Nothing is connected on left side):

As for the electrical outlet. This is the one I bought: Leviton T5320-W 15 Amp (Please look for it on Amazon).

I've made sure the 2 black wires are connected to brass color. The 2 white writes are connected to silver. As for the green one, I was not sure what to put there. I assumed it was ground so there was a orange-ish wire, so I've connected that to it.
It is tough to tell anything from that picture. I would suggest pulling the switch out further, and pulling the wires out without disconnecting them and posting another picture.

As for the "orange-ish" wire if that means bare copper and you connected it to the green screw, it is probably correct. If, instead, it has "orange-ish" insulation on it you should disconnect it from that green screw and do further testing to verify what it is.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe this is what the diagram of my old way looked like.

On Switch side, bottom has the green/blue wire.

On Electrical side, Top/Copper Screw had the green/blue wire. Tab was broken as shown.

Now, on the new one. Tab is not broken. Copper side has 2 black wires. Silver side has 2 white wires. Green has that orange-ish looking one. I'm pretty sure the old outlet had the orange looking one as well.

What should I do?

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
The wiring in the above post looks correct,
how does the existing wiring compare to it ?

To return the top left outlet to full power
Remove the red wire,cap it off,
Run another black wire from where the
red wire was to the bundle of blacks beside it.

Which leaves the green and orange-ish wire
my guess is this is the problem
remove these two wires from each other
or what ever they are connected to.
cap them
then try out and see what works

1 - 10 of 10 Posts