DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to convert the closed storage space under my stairs into a built in desk and storage. I have a general idea of how I want it to look but I am not sure I can do it myself keeping things structurally safe.
That being said what type of person would I contact/look for who can do the carpentry as well as have design ideas?

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
We have no idea how your stairs where built, what your plans are, no pictures, what tools you may have or your DIY skills you may have.
Any DIY or, general handy man should be able to do this with simple hand tools.

Reactions: Phickman1

·
Registered
17 Posts
basement? Unless you have other means of escape from the basement like a bilco door or large window in case of a fire, you must drywall under the stairs so they're less likely to burn down since you're probably at least putting an electrical light in there, probably requires thicker 5/8" sheetrock.

I wouldn't screw/nail too much into the existing support studs with long nails/screws, I'd just screw a 2x3 or 2x4 to the studs and use that as the main nail backer to nail/screw everything else to, but that's only if you want a permanent shelf desk in there which I see no benefit of. Basically just build a shelving unit and desk and nail it to the 2x4s you added to the wall. Or just go buy a shelf and desk and put it in there? Cap off the bottom of the 2x4 or 2x3s with galvanized steel stud track if they're touching concrete instead of using pressure treated lumber so they don't rot. Not really sure what you're asking either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts