DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Clueless but pliable
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, This is my first posting.

I live in a 1962 mobile home which is less than sturdy and this is Florida.
I love this place. I've made it fun and my own.
It has termites and you name it.

I've looked at all my options: replace with new manufactured home with Wind Zone III security; move and buy something very small and inexpensive that is a real house; build a concrete block house on property. Everything ends up costing more than I have.

My place had an addition built on that has a concrete floor and an addition of a huge lanai circling the place halfway built onto that. It's on a quarter acre corner lot; great old oak and rubber tree and palms....

I am wondering if it is possible to replace the frame and structure of the mobile home bit by bit with cinder block materials. It is on dirt; not cement presently; so , I know that is a problem.

Does anyone see any options for not throwing out the old, but somehow converting it or part of it to a solid structure?

The mobile home part is 450 square feet. The add on (all one length of room) is about the same; and the lanai is about the same.

If I had my druthers, I would stay here as things are, but I have to think of the safety situation and longevity factors etc.

I know nothing about building a building. I can create a whimsical toilet paper roll holder , but otherwise in terms of rot and walls and flooring and ceilings and foundation; forget it.

I can live comfortably in my 450 square feet space. Do have five cats and a dog to consider though; so need the (a) lanai.

Anyway, can what I have been converted to a solid concrete block structure for less than it would cost to buy or have someone build (which is looking like around $80,000 )?

Or what do you think about just getting a live in shed for my property and are there such things?

Thanks.

fishdamsel

·
Super Moderator
14,510 Posts
Trying to build a little at a time replacing the trailer is going to be way more than you want to try. It is hard to do even for an experienced carpenter, a person with little experience would have a very difficult time trying to do what you want, not to mention the time involved.

Here is something that might interest you:

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/collections/customer-slideshows

And with a little help you could build one of these yourself.

·
JOATMON
16,560 Posts
My sister lives in FL.

You didn't say if you own the property or not or if you have a septic tank, or well.

If you have the room (land) then pour a foundation of concrete and then start building your house while living in the trailer, I mean mobile home. That was what my sister did.

·
Don't WANNA do it myself
636 Posts
I agree - have a slab poured and build your own place. There are tons of plans online.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Make sure your current mobile home is anchored down as well as it can be with whatever hurricane anchors are available, then buy enough insurance to cover it and hope for the best.

Then how about just building a smaller structure to serve as a storm shelter to keep you and the animals safe in case any severe storms hit your area?

It sounds like you enjoy your property, so if you don't want to do a drastic move, just be as prepared as possible with what you got.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
It is certainly possible to place a mobile home onto a concrete or block foundation. It's done all the time, and requires little if any modification to the trailer itself. But from what you say about the condition of yours, I'd be wary that it would be sturdy enough to withstand being moved or even temporarily jacked up.

Please abandon any thoughts of doing something yourself. It's not as easy as the television home shows would have you believe, even if you know what you're doing.

·
Clueless but pliable
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your useful input

You've given me several ideas and I guess I will not lay my first cinder block inside my mobile home.:) I'm thinking on the shed idea right now for safety for dog and cats and me should weather force it.
No insurance on this old mobile home.
Hmmm. Starting with a slab and little by little is a novel idea.
I live in Ruskin, Florida and do have a septic system. Wish I didn't.

There are two slabs already laid for the an add on addition of about forty by 11 feet and an add on lanai to that of about 40 by 12 feet. It is actually the same slab. I have been told that the notion of building on these slabs (having the rest torn down) wouldn't work because they are not to code. But I wonder if they could be used in some way? Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
You've given me several ideas and I guess I will not lay my first cinder block inside my mobile home.:) I'm thinking on the shed idea right now for safety for dog and cats and me should weather force it.
No insurance on this old mobile home.
Hmmm. Starting with a slab and little by little is a novel idea.
I live in Ruskin, Florida and do have a septic system. Wish I didn't.

There are two slabs already laid for the an add on addition of about forty by 11 feet and an add on lanai to that of about 40 by 12 feet. It is actually the same slab. I have been told that the notion of building on these slabs (having the rest torn down) wouldn't work because they are not to code. But I wonder if they could be used in some way? Thanks again for all your help!

Are you talking about the driveway slab that runs along side your mobile home????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts