DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:icon_confused:I live in a 70's condo that has an electric stove. How do I go about converting it to gas? Do I first contact the gas company? or get the stove people to do that? We have gas in the attic for water heater and a nearby fireplace that is in an adjoining room.

·
Mad Scientist
951 Posts
I'm afraid that's a job for the appliance store; you'll need a new stove. I've never seen an electric stove that can be converted to gas, or vice versa.

·
Remodeling Contractor
3,590 Posts
I assume you mean to replace the stove with a gas unit. A plumber would be the one to call. The gas company would not necessarily be involved since you say you already have gas service. Be sure you have natural gas or propane so you get the correct stove to match.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
I'd add that if you look behind the electric stove, you may see there is already a gas valve there waiting for you!
If not, you will have to add a gasline run to the area and have it inspected, etc. In addition, you say you live in a condo, so there may be more to it than simply that in the way of permits, committee approval, etc.

DM

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Converting Electricty to Gas as Stove's Power Source

Man! You guys are specific on here - I'm just an English major. Thanks for all the info. I am confused, however, by why one would need a plumber as one post indicated somewhere back in 2007.

Naturally, you can't call the gas company to ask these questions on a Saturday when you may have time to contemplate them.

Do you have any idea how much it would cost to run a natural gas line from the attic to the kitchen (approx 10 ft.) or same distance room to room from fireplace to far wall of kitchen/great room combo?

:thumbsup:I hear you regarding checking w/condo board, but some of the residents must have gas conversions so it looks probable that they would approve.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
The cost of dropping a gas line into the wall is not something that we could tell you.

Plumbers hourly rates vary by state and town. The ease or difficulty can not be known with out seeing the job.----Mike-----

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
Styler.,

The best bet if there is no gaz pipe for the stove call the plummer { there are qualifed crews that can work on gaz pipes and some HVAC contractors will do it as well so check it out as well }

As far for the cost that something I don't able tell you the prices due too many variations it will be involded.

Oh yeah the instering part with gaz stove if you have range hood make sure they are direct vent not in recircuation mode at all { quite few states have this codes related but I am not suprised that Canada should be about the same rules as I mention above }

Merci,Marc

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
Don't forget the electrician for the new 120 volt receptacle or get one of these.

That is the coolest thing I have see it for while I should buy couple of that.

Merci,Marc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts