DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Looking for some advice on whether the following project would be within a reasonable price range.

My wife and I are looking at buying an abandoned church in West Virginia.
We'd like to rehab the existing church (784sq feet) and use this as a living room and kitchen space, then add on 3 bedrooms and 2 bath. It currently has an existent but unconnected septic, well, and electric, but no plumbing.

I know without a million specifics its impossible to give an accurate estimate. We are just looking for ballpark figure of how affordable we could possibly make this project. We don't mind things like exposed plumbing/electrical or other workarounds to make it cheaper. Any thoughts?

-Al

·
retired framer
41,440 Posts
Hi all,

Looking for some advice on whether the following project would be within a reasonable price range.

My wife and I are looking at buying an abandoned church in West Virginia.
We'd like to rehab the existing church (784sq feet) and use this as a living room and kitchen space, then add on 3 bedrooms and 2 bath. It currently has an existent but unconnected septic, well, and electric, but no plumbing.

I know without a million specifics its impossible to give an accurate estimate. We are just looking for ballpark figure of how affordable we could possibly make this project. We don't mind things like exposed plumbing/electrical or other workarounds to make it cheaper. Any thoughts?

-Al
If the market would allow I have put a deposit on a property to hold it 3 months. Got plans drawn, got estimates, checked if permits would be allowed for what I wanted. It did not work out at a good price. The market picked up in that time and I sold my option for a profit to some one that loved it as is.

·
Naildriver
11,390 Posts
It will depend largely on the "bones" of the structure. You indicated it had been abandoned, so there could be anything from structural to only cosmetic issues, but they will need to be dealt with. Would it be possible to post a picture or two of the structure so we can see what you see? It may be an interesting endeavor. Your septic may need to be revamped, since you are adding bedrooms, so be prepared for some major expenses until you can stabilize the project.

·
retired painter
10,371 Posts
Before you jump in have you checked to see if the floor is level? many churches have the sanctuary sloped where the pews are. Some slopes aren't as noticeable as others when you first walk in but could be a big deal if converting it to living space.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. Here’s a link to the listing with some pictures of the outside. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3398-Spruce-Run-Rd-Terra-Alta-WV-26764/2103190975_zpid/

I see where the stones are loose at one corner of the house. It’s a brick veneer - actually wood underneath. Assuming the structure is intact, is it more expensive to add onto it that to just build a new homes right next to it? I like the idea of keeping the church but not if it costs $50,000 more than just building new.

·
retired framer
41,440 Posts
A building lot where I live is $400,000 so the price does not compute.
That looks like a great shed in the back yard of your new house.

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,794 Posts
Ayuh,.... It sounds like you want to Hire Out the work, not Diy it,..?? Right,..??

Either way, it depends on You,....

A few years back, I did a $25,000 rehab for $2500 bucks,....
Took me 91 days to move in a tenant, from the day I signed the mortgage,...
'course, My favorite place to get materials is from jobsite dumpsters too,....
'n there was a huge buildin' boom goin' on at the time,....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Id like to DIY as much as possible but it’s going to be more on the realm of finishing, drywall, painting, rather than foundation, roofing, electrical.

·
Registered
9,343 Posts
I see where the stones are loose at one corner of the house. It’s a brick veneer - actually wood underneath.
Are you saying its a wood foundation ?

You actually have two breaks in the brick, the one near the corner and another right under the window. (Pic#19) it also appears that the corner is sinking, although it might just be curvature from the camera lens.

The other concern I have is the way the land slopes into the building on the uphill end. (Pic#5). You only have an inch or two of "brick veneer" showing before the siding. I would be concerned whether or not water or snow melt has entered there and what it may be doing to the structure.

·
Guapo
5,940 Posts
How much land do you get w/ that? If you can get it for $20,000 & you have another $80,000 to invest, it might be a good deal.

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
People fall in love with the idea of church. Take it out of your equation. There is no more worship in it and it is no longer a church. Abandonment usually means need to be taken to the foundation and rebuilt. Renovation/alterations ALWAYS cost more.

·
retired framer
41,440 Posts
Are you saying its a wood foundation ?

You actually have two breaks in the brick, the one near the corner and another right under the window. (Pic#19) it also appears that the corner is sinking, although it might just be curvature from the camera lens.

The other concern I have is the way the land slopes into the building on the uphill end. (Pic#5). You only have an inch or two of "brick veneer" showing before the siding. I would be concerned whether or not water or snow melt has entered there and what it may be doing to the structure.
That's not brick, it's rolled siding, that looks like brick.

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
I'd purchase the property then advertise the former church for sale to be moved if is in a condition that would tolerate that move. Then I'd build new with a layout desired without the former dictating that layout.

·
Registered
9,343 Posts
That's not brick, it's rolled siding, that looks like brick.
The “brick” reference is to the foundation, not the siding.
The op refered to the “foundation stone” as being brick veneer with wood behind it. (Post 5)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts