DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stove recently broke. The outlet is a 50 amp. My aunt gave me a stove, but it has a 30 amp plug. She says there is a way to just switch the plug. Is that so? And how would I go about doing that?

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
If she gave you what appears to be a standard range, you might want to consider changing the cord instead of changing the outlet.

What is the nameplate rating on the appliance?

·
Registered
9,621 Posts
Replace the receptacle (outlet; socket) and also replace the 50 amp breaker down in the panel with a 30 amp breaker. The stove cord and plug remain unaltered.

There could be complications. If the plug for the new stove has neutral and/or ground contacts that the original cable to the old receptacle does not provide conductors for, you would need to string a new 6* gauge 3 conductor plus ground cable down to the panel before you can complete the project.

If only a ground conductor is needed and lacking you can string just a ground conductor to the panel more or less following the route of the existing cable.

* 10 gauge will carry 30 amps but it would be nice to future proof the installation for 50 amps for the next owner of the house.

·
Registered
780 Posts
If the new stove cord has the same number of pins as the 50 amp receptacle change the plug on the stove. It's a lot easier putting 30 amp wires in a 50 amp plug than it is putting 50 amp wires in a 30 amp receptacle and breaker.

·
Super Moderator
9,446 Posts
I have yet to see a free standing unit require yes than 40 amps.
I'm betting someone wire the old unit with a dryer receptacle.
Check the name plate on the unit and get back to us!

·
Licensed Pro
1,571 Posts
Unless it is a gas range, the minimum required ampacity will be 40A, which requires a 50A plug and receptacle. Someone apparently miswired this initially. As others have said, check the wattage, but plan on changing the cord to a 50A cord.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts