DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

converting 12 v light fixture to 110

1163 Views 1 Reply 2 Participants Last post by  AllanJ
T5 wedge type 12 volt bulb

I have a light fixture which is rated for 120 volts but currently has a 12 volt T5 wedge type bulb in it (921) Does anyone know what the proper bulb number/name would be for 120 volt bulb? I have been told by an electrician that since the fixture is rated for 120 V, I just need to find the proper bulb to make it work. Any one know what the bulb would be OR where I can find a "table" that would let me import the 12 V info and provide me with 120 V equivalents? Thanks
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
10,328 Posts
Note that the wattage you are going to use should not exceed the wattage of the original 12 volt lamp. You will need to replace the lamp socket, also, with a socket used for 120 volt lamps.

Still, you will void the Underwriters Laboratories or other safety rating of the fixtures and if you shoul have a fire, the insurance might not cover. For this and other reasons, they do not make conversion kits (except for fixtures that are really dual voltage); you would have to jury rig the new socket and other applicable parts.
  • Like
Reactions: GKA
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.