DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved into a new rental apartment in New York City. My bedroom used to be the front living room, so it's huge, but it's separated from the den/kitchen area by a very wide doorway, which currently has two bifold closet doors. The doors are paper thin and don't reach the floor beneath, so neither rooms is sound insulated. I'd like to have sound privacy in my room. Is there a way I can relatively cheaply do that? I'm not opposed to installing a solid door of some kind (nor is my landlord), I just don't want to blow a whole lot of money on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
37,225 Posts
There's suppose to be a gap under the for return air flow.
A French door is a fine idea but I doubt you'll notice enough difference in noise level to justify the cost unless you use solid wood doors, even then it will be minimal.
Plus that single pane window above the door acts like a sound board.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, what is a prehung door? And I've heard in other forums that the window above the door is going to be a problem...it seems so small, is it really going to allow that much sound through?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry, what is a prehung door? And I've heard in other forums that the window above the door is going to be a problem...it seems so small, is it really going to allow that much sound through?
A prehung door is a door that is already hanging on its own frame, as opposed to a door that is just a door. A lot of French doors are prehung. As for the window, a lot of sound can travel through a small space. That window looks relatively thin and a single pane, so sound likely goes through it pretty easily.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just removed very similar thin, bi-fold doors to convert our office into the new baby's room. We went with french doors - NOT prehung. I know a very good carpenter who put them in for ~$400 including supplies (doors were $100 each). Make sure you get solid wood doors; they block sound better than hollow core doors.
Our new doors cut down the noise a surprising amount! The room is now nice and quiet even with the A/C blower running right outside the door.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts