DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved into a new rental apartment in New York City. My bedroom used to be the front living room, so it's huge, but it's separated from the den/kitchen area by a very wide doorway, which currently has two bifold closet doors. The doors are paper thin and don't reach the floor beneath, so neither rooms is sound insulated. I'd like to have sound privacy in my room. Is there a way I can relatively cheaply do that? I'm not opposed to installing a solid door of some kind (nor is my landlord), I just don't want to blow a whole lot of money on it.

Attachments

·
JOATMON
15,307 Posts
No door is soundproof. But, closing off the gaps will do wonders.

Putting a door in there is not hard....or expensive.....but if you want it to look good as well, then the cost goes up. Pretty cost $$.

If it was me....I'd go to HD and buy your typical stamped hollow core door. You can get a decent looking one for about $100 including frame.

The door is going to be smaller in width than the opening. Looking at your pic I'm guessing the opening is between 4-5'? A 32" door is going to leave you about 2' of space. If you center the door then you could make side panels to fill in the space. Cover them with drywall.

If you're handy....it's a weekend job and about $150 in material. If you have to pay someone....you're looking at $500+....at leas that is what I'd charge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So in other words I'd get the widest normal door possible, and fill in the sides with drywall? Is that easy to convert back to the original frame for when I move out?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just throwing out ideas for you, heavy curtains across existing doorway or tall office partitions or looking into heavier bi-fold doors if you don't want to change the door opening.

·
Registered
37,225 Posts
No it's not easy to convert it back and all the work you have done and material's are useless.
A hollow core door is cheap but useless to reduce noise.
Sound reduction is done by adding mass. A hollow core door has nothing but cardboard webbing inside of it.

Reactions: Desertdrifter

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Heavy solid core door is best for sound. Curtains have been suggested in the AV forums too. I've been looking into it a bit.

As far as framing it in to fit a door. Be mindful of limiting what can be hauled in and out furniture wise.

I'd look into heavy full length curtains and go from there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like the window above the door is going to let a lot of sound in, too. Maybe a really heavy curtain is the best option. Anyone have suggestions?

·
AHH, SPANS!!!
1,751 Posts
french doors. they will swing in any direction. just measure width of opening and divide by two to find each door size....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts