DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am trying to convert this single double toggle switch to two separate switches. When I try it, they don’t work. How can I do this correctly? Do I need to add an additional wire?
Photos of the double toggle switch wired correctly and pictures of my new 1/2 paddle switches from Legrand.
Gas Engineering Electrical wiring Wood Machine

Rectangle Wood Flooring Font Brick

Wood Floor Flooring Gas Hardwood
Gas Engineering Electrical wiring Wood Machine

Circuit component Electrical wiring Engineering Gas Electronic engineering

·
Super Moderator
17,093 Posts
Wire 3 is the power to the switches. You will need add 2 pigtails off of this to power the two switches. The other wires on the switch are the switched hot out to the lights.

The wires should have a clockwise loop around the screws.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wire 3 is the power to the switches. You will need add 2 pigtails off of this to power the two switches. The other wires on the switch are the switched hot out to the lights.

The wires should have a clockwise loop around the screws.
Thank you!! Now I’m struggling with the other side.

·
Super Moderator
17,093 Posts
Wire 1 and 2 will each go to one of the new switches.

·
Registered
Electrical, remodeling
538 Posts
Are you trying to change to two seperate swiches in a two gang box or are you just trying to get a better more up to date looking switch?

This is basically the same switch just looks a bit nicer.

If you want two totally seperate switches in a two gang box, you will need to change the box.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you trying to change to two seperate swiches in a two gang box or are you just trying to get a better more up to date looking switch?

This is basically the same switch just looks a bit nicer.

If you want two totally seperate switches in a two gang box, you will need to change the box.
I took an after picture! I was able to get 4 single (1/2 paddle switches,
Part number ASPD1531W4) into a 2 gang box. Wires are a little tight but it looks great!

·
Registered
Electrical, remodeling
538 Posts
Looks good.

Did you make the top switch for the lights in that room?

Taught years ago that when ganging switches, the first switch, closest to the entry way, should be the switch that controls the lights of the room you are entering.

Anyone else practice this unwritten rule?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts