DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On the trailer I'm converting, I have two l5-30 inlet plugs that both feed into the panel shown on the bottom left and right.

Can I replace those two with one l14-30, and if so, how do I wire it? I've got a ground, neutral and hot coming from each of the l5-30 inlets now. Do I double up the ground and neutral from both of those, then use the hot from each in the X and Y like this?

Here are where the two l5-30 plugs are now.

Which is on the outside wall under this box.

Electrical wiring Electrical supply Gas Machine Cable

And which feed into the bottom left and right here. (The center is coming from the old 20k generator and I'm wanting to put a 50 amp inlet there. Different thread coming.)

Circle Machine Security Telephone Steel

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Just because they're cops, doesn't mean they didn't do something wack-a-doodle with the wiring. I have an uneasy feeling that these two 120V inlets already tie neutrals together and feed both legs of a 120/240 split-phase panel.

I realize you just want to do the absolute minimum possible work that will get it lit up but seriously -- you really need to take the time to either evaluate what was done here, or just tear it out and give it a "reboot". There is no reason to be loyal to the work done so far. It looks shady as heck to me.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
All the conductors need to be in the same raceway or conduit. If you cannot fit the second hot conductor you will need to do some rewiring.

Reactions: therealjlo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just because they're cops, doesn't mean they didn't do something wack-a-doodle with the wiring. I have an uneasy feeling that these two 120V inlets already tie neutrals together and feed both legs of a 120/240 split-phase panel.

I realize you just want to do the absolute minimum possible work that will get it lit up but seriously -- you really need to take the time to either evaluate what was done here, or just tear it out and give it a "reboot". There is no reason to be loyal to the work done so far. It looks shady as heck to me.
That wiring looks shady?

I got a reply from the city police chief. He said he believes they got it from AT&T or something like that. They hardly every used it and didn't do anything with the wiring.

I'm going to take the interior wall covering off today if I can get out there to see what's happening underneath it, but it looks like each one of these inlets is running its own wiring up into the panel, then connecting to the left and right sides. You can see that wiring coming in at the bottom. These inlets are outside (obviously) just below this inside panel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.