DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have an old chandelier by Tech Lighting (Crescendo model), which is low voltage; within the base there is a 300w transformer and there are about a dozen 12v MR16 bulbs. Every few years the transformer goes bad and it’s a nightmare to change since I have very high ceilings, not to mention the transformer is one-off and costs over a hundred bucks. It just blew again, and I was wondering if I could eliminate the transformer and just use 120v MR16 bulbs? This way I never have to change the transformer again just the bulbs. My only concern was around the fixtures arcing or the wiring not being thick enough, etc with the higher voltage. Has anyone done anything like this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
Your transformer is blowing only because of two possible reasons.
You have a short in the wiring or you are using too high a wattage bulb.
Mr 16 bulbs are available in different wattages.
Did you replace bulbs? Did the bulbs come with the fixture?
I understand it is a pain in the *** but I would check ALL of the bulbs and see what wattage they are. Total up the wattage and see what you get.
If it is below the transformer rating then you have a wiring problem or maybe just a poorly designed fixture. If the total wattage is too high then you have found the problem. But in order to switch to line voltage you would have to rewire the fixture. It is very unlikely the wiring in a low voltage fixture is adequate for what you want to do.
Take the fixture down and go over it rather than working off a ladder.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
MR16 12 volt AC LED's only pull 5 watts so you could get by with a lot smaller and cheaper transformer. Or use the DC ones and supply a driver. Something to consider if the fixture is nice. They aren't cheap!

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
12 volt MR16 bulbs have a different base than 120 volt MR16. Something is causing the transformer to blow. Could we see the chandelier? # of bulbs and VA rating of the transformer? Another possibility is to remotely mount the transformer for easy access.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.