DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of changing the whole fixture would/could it be easier/cheaper to just change the tombstones and the ballast and leave the same fixture there. Or do I need to take whole unit down and replace it with a T8 fixture?

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,823 Posts
No need do any of that. Just buy direct wire LED replacement tubes. It uses the existing tombstones and the ballast is no longer required. You can buy on line for $7-8 per tube

Sent from my RCT6203W46 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 68DTHJCsk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So Do I need to remove the old ballasts? Or do the new bulbs just bypass the ballasts? Its a quick fix but its 32.00 for bulbs per unit. But 50,000 hours bulb life.

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,823 Posts
You cut the ballasts dead. You can leave them in place or junk them. You will spend $$ for a T8 ballast and for 4 T8 tubes.

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,823 Posts
Make sure the LED tubes are direct wire not "ballast compatible" or "plug and play". Some are listed as direct wire and ballast compatible, that will work also. I prefer the LEDs that are wired to both ends of the tube, it allows the use of shunted or un-shunted tombstones. Single end wired LEDs require un-shunted tombstones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts