DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to control my fan using remote and the light on the fan using both remote and switch. Is that possible.

I have 1 black wire, 1 red wire for light, neutral and ground wire coming from the ceiling. I have capped the red wire and connected the black wire to the remote receiver. I am able to control the fan using remote. I connected the black wire to single pole switch to control the power to the fan.

I heard using external relay, we can achieve the above functionality. Don't know how to implement. Could someone please guide me ?

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
It’s possible.
Do you have a remote?
If not Lowe’s/Home Depot sell a remote fan control kit, just comes with a receiver/relay to control the fan. I have one in my open family room.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I have remote and single pole switch. I would like to control the fan via remote and fanlight via remote and switch.

·
Super Moderator
21,794 Posts
Not sure how that would work. When the switch was on the remote would do nothing. Also the when the switch was on it back feed the remote on the output line. Not sure if that would kill the remote or not.
I would see if you could buy a second remote and fasten it to the wall at the switch location.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts