DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was looking for a device(s) that would allow me replace two independent, existing hard-wired light switches (example, one porch light switch and one outside garage light switch), and allow them to work as a single group in a 3-way switch configuration wirelessly. Is there such a device? Here is an illustration I was looking to accomplish. Was looking to make these two lights work in a 3-way switch configuration without running new wires between the two switch locations:

Product Rectangle Organism Font Parallel

I didn't want to go the route where you need to plug in a "hub" or be able to only activate the 3-way switching with some mobile app. Basically, wanted to have the two switches act as a 3-way with only replacing/upgrading the actual two switches as if they were wired in a standard 3-way switch configuration (minus the runner/traveler wires).

· retired framer
70,177 Posts
Are you looking for a second switch or just available to the phone or what ever?
Do you know if the powers is at the switch box or the light fixture?

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Looking to replace the existing single-pole switches with some light switches that can participate in a wireless 3-way switch configuration. Not looking to connect this to a phone or hub or anything that requires a mobile app to use (one-time setup via phone is fine).

Power is at the switch box for both lights at this point.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Luton has the Caseta and Pico wireless switches.
Nope, will not work for too many reasons. Like I don't want to deal with hubs (smart bridge) bs and more importantly, the "fake" remote switch will not power the second group of lights. This isn't a single light and 3-way switch configuration. See original post, we are talking two groups of lights here. But I appreciate the effort.

· retired framer
70,177 Posts
Nope, will not work for too many reasons. Like I don't want to deal with hubs (smart bridge) bs and more importantly, the "fake" remote switch will not power the second group of lights. This isn't a single light and 3-way switch configuration. See original post, we are talking two groups of lights here. But I appreciate the effort.
You would replace the two switches with the two unites and put the remotes anywhere you want them.
So you would have 2 3way systems.
I don't know what I am missing.

· Super Moderator
18,121 Posts
The Caseta works without a hub. I believe 2 would do what you want. You would just pair them to operate the lights.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
You would replace the two switches with the two unites and put the remotes anywhere you want them.
So you would have 2 3way systems.
I don't know what I am missing.
I don't think you are missing anything, think I am the one missing something.

Could you provide some details as to how the two switches (not the remotes) will communicate with each other? Does this require a one-time wireless pairing or a special hub? Product link would be great as the ones I have found have that ugly multibuttoned split face mess of a switch face (looking for a single rocker switch) or have instructions for wired travelers.

Requiring any hub, wifi network or special hardware other than the two switches is a deal breaker as I want my switches to work if I have no internet in the house.

----
Update: Caseta is definitely out, they seem to only carry that ugly multibuttoned interface. Oh well, guess some day they will come out with something I am looking. If not, oh well.

· retired framer
70,177 Posts
I don't think you are missing anything, think I am the one missing something.

Could you provide some details as to how the two switches (not the remotes) will communicate with each other? Does this require a one-time wireless pairing or a special hub? Product link would be great as the ones I have found have that ugly multibuttoned split face mess of a switch face (looking for a single rocker switch) or have instructions for wired travelers.

Requiring any hub, wifi network or special hardware other than the two switches is a deal breaker as I want my switches to work if I have no internet in the house.
One switch comes out and is replaced be a switch with a sending unit that is mated with the remove switch that comes with it. The first piece is hardwired so it controls directly and receives the wireless from the remote switch.
Then you do one for the other light.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One switch comes out and is replaced be a switch with a sending unit that is mated with the remove switch that comes with it. The first piece is hardwired so it controls directly and receives the wireless from the remote switch.
Then you do one for the other light.
Is this for the Caseta? If so, that is a bummer, that ugly switch looks awful. It has n-number of buttons when I just need one.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Ok, this seems like a step in the right direction. But the only thing that seems applicable or the four noted switches is the D215S. However, I was only able to find it working with an un-wired "companion" device (which will not work for me). Rather, what it seems is that I need to use two D215S switches to control two sets of lights?

The spec sheets go on to note:
"Connects to Wi-Fi; No hub required"

Which is not what I want. I want my lights to work even if my internet or intranet is down. So no go there.

Specs also note:
"Single-Pole, 3-way or multi-way control – with the wired DD0SR Switch Companion or a wireless DAWSC Anywhere Switch Companion"

And note these configurations (which neither is what I want):
Organism Font Line Parallel Automotive tire

But what I want is this configuration (edited by me to get what I was looking for)
Rectangle Font Circle Graphics Brand

Not sure if the D215S meets my needs or not. Going to call Leviton to see exactly what I need to purchase or if their products support what I am trying to accomplish. Thanks!

· retired framer
70,177 Posts
Ok, this seems like a step in the right direction. But the only thing that seems applicable or the four noted switches is the D215S. However, I was only able to find it working with an un-wired "companion" device (which will not work for me). Rather, what it seems is that I need to use two D215S switches to control two sets of lights?

The spec sheets go on to note:
"Connects to Wi-Fi; No hub required"

Which is not what I want. I want my lights to work even if my internet or intranet is down. So no go there.

Specs also note:
"Single-Pole, 3-way or multi-way control – with the wired DD0SR Switch Companion or a wireless DAWSC Anywhere Switch Companion"

And note these configurations (which neither is what I want):
View attachment 721375
But what I want is this configuration (edited by me to get what I was looking for)
View attachment 721379

Not sure if the D215S meets my needs or not. Going to call Leviton to see exactly what I need to purchase or if their products support what I am trying to accomplish. Thanks!
They first one I posted was wireless not bluetooth .
If you want them to work as one hook both wires to one unit at the switch and buy the one with two or more remotes.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Called Leviton today, they don't make what I am looking for... Closest thing was getting two D2SCS units and syncing them up on the app and having them work over Wifi. Wifi and that ugly button interface kills the deal. Oh well. Maybe some day.

· Premium Member
5,358 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts