DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What % of contractors do you think do the right/quality install job.

• 10-30%

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • 30-50%

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 50-70%

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 70-90%

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 90+

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What % of contractor out there do you think do a very good and install the way it's suppose to be done?

·
Super Moderator
12,145 Posts
Install what?

There's all kind of things that a contractor can install that needs no kind of inspection and other things that are highly regulated.

Are you including the unlicenced (even though they may say they are) contractors which are in abundance on craigslist and the like?

A little more detail would be helpful for me anyway.

Reactions: jbfan

·
Registered
418 Posts
Talking with many good contractors, they tend to agree within 5% off the following:

5% of contractors do good work AND know what they are doing
5%-10% of contractors know what they are doing but don't care to do good work
Leaving
85%-90% of contractors who don't know what they are doing but think they do resulting in crappy work.

·
Super Moderator
12,145 Posts
Talking with many good contractors, they tend to agree within 5% off the following:

5% of contractors do good work AND know what they are doing
5%-10% of contractors know what they are doing but don't care to do good work
Leaving
85%-90% of contractors who don't know what they are doing but think they do resulting in crappy work.
It ain't that bad...In my pro experience I'd say 40% of contractors are masters at their craft.

I'd also say that your conclusion for whatever reason is because you can't access that upper 40%, whether that's because of bucks, connections or both.

Now, your numbers make sense if the cream at the top begins with the glass half empty.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
JLawrence,
I don't know where you got your numbers or what sample you were sampling.
My experience is: There are more competent contractors than you think.
You just got to screen your contractors better.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
The answer to this question varies a lot from area to area and from trade to trade. It also certainly is very dependent on the amount of money being spent in many cases. Logically one would think that the expensive contractors of the best but from my experience the middle priced ones are normally the better ones. The area where you live may have great carpenters but mediocre electricians and plumbers. Someplace else may have crappy carpenters and fantastic plumbers. It all varies many different considerations taken into account. My gut feel is the average is somewhere around 50%.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Contractors: 25% good, 25% know how to be good but are in a hurry and don’t care, 25% not too good but fix a few complaints and people accept it, 25% suck.
Customers: 33% want the best and don’t care if it is expensive, 33% want good stuff at a fair price, 34% want the cheapest price. I did business with the first 2 and left the last one for my competitors.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Out of state contractors.

Who bid the job and sub it out without ever having any hands on.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Contractors: 25% good, 25% know how to be good but are in a hurry and don’t care, 25% not too good but fix a few complaints and people accept it, 25% suck.
Customers: 33% want the best and don’t care if it is expensive, 33% want good stuff at a fair price, 34% want the cheapest price. I did business with the first 2 and left the last one for my competitors.

20% good AND KNOW HOW TO RUN A BUSINESS, 20% know how to be good but are in a hurry and don’t care BECAUSE THEY DONT KNOW HOW TO SCHEDULE WORK APPROPRIATELY AND HAVE TO WORK HASTILY OR SIMPLY...DONT CARE, 20% not too good but fix a few complaints and people accept it, 20% suck. Final 20% are contractors trained at YouTube technical school

1 - 9 of 9 Posts