DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
This: "...they usually try to clean the area where you can see..." says it all. Many contractors have a keen awareness of which shortcuts are easy to get away with. Most customers are clueless to this unless they are both knowlegeable and observant. Customers might check up on the contractors work progress once or twice or three times a day. During those brief inspection periods, the contractor might put on a show to make it look like they really care but as soon as your back is turned, that faked concern disappears.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Back in the late, 70's - early, 80's - I worked for a roofing/siding
supplier/installer.
We had a large custom/semi-custom builder as an account (not "tract",
homes).
One thing that was impressed upon us from the start - all the "trades"
were equally, important!
Everyone works together, and everyone cleans up after themselves!!!
Everyone!!! - no "golden boys", no "prima donnas"! - nobody with an attitude - my trade is "this-or-that" - your trade is "just", "THAT"!

Since, I was on the job-site earlier and later, then most of the other "trades":
All the expensive tools I retrieved (before they "grew, legs") -
All the electricians, plumbers, framers, HVAC, concrete, brick-layers - people that became my friends!
Sometimes, I even did a little clean up when I saw something that I
knew was a "Big", "bad", "No-No" - if the superintendent, came out in
the morning and saw it!! :)
I was a "Sider" - no-one had to worry about me cleaning up! -
Aluminum = scrap = "free money"! :)

You're a "Pro"? - make it look like you're a "Pro"! -
Even if, all it means is piling up the stuff in the middle of the room!
Don't leave your "shot", strewn around!
End of "Vent"! :)

rossfingal

Happy Holidaze!

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,711 Posts
As a flooring installer, we had to clean the floors before we went to work and almost all, bag the scraps and throw them in the dumpster. It seemed that most of the trades before us just left their mess knowing we would have to clean it. And many GCs seemed to think it was our job and would not pay extra. I have had to hire an extra person just to clean in front of us.

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
All of my contracts state the areas we are to work in will be "broom clean" upon our arrival or we will not stay. Had to turn around and leave more than once over the years.

·
Registered
471 Posts
On one job site I had to let the plumber go because of very bad workmanship. I had never used him before, so I learned a lesson. I tried to call him later but he would not take the call, in fact he would answer and then hang up. Well I didn't feel bad about not returning his brand new Rigid remote camera that he had left behind on the job. Hey I did try and return it.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts