DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hired a contractor to install new ducting for a forced air furnace in a 100+ year old house. The floor is original old growth oak it's the only thing visible on the interior I have kept. Apparently the holes for the vents were cut by an apprentice with a sawzall and they look terrible. The biggest problem is that they are placed under the base boards they are also not square or parallel with the wall. The cuts frequently meander out from under the edge of the vent covers. What is my best option moving forward? Can I go a size up on floor vents and recut the holes myself?
Brown Wood Window Fixture Rectangle

Wood Line Wall Composite material Gas

Automotive tire Wood Road surface Grille Rectangle

Bumper Rectangle Automotive exterior Gas Composite material

·
Registered
Building my last home
2,008 Posts
You paid for the butchery? Any chance the contractor will come back and fix the mess?
I would seriously look at what else they butchered when they ran the duct work.

This place will make custom registers, they have for me. Not cheap but easier to deal with than the alternative

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was only the first day so they haven't run anything other than the the floor vents. I paid half up front.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess no mater what I'm going to have to patch the floor between the wall and the vents but could I cut larger holes that are straight and use larger vents?

·
Super Moderator
7,516 Posts
I guess no mater what I'm going to have to patch the floor between the wall and the vents but could I cut larger holes that are straight and use larger vents?
Imo, before you do any corrections, leave it just like that and call the company, ask to speak with the owner. Have him or her come out and look at that work first hand. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Calling the company and speaking to someone is mandatory.
You see these mistakes and screwups. If they can’t cut a hole imagine what else they make mistakes on that you can’t see.
Call. Have an upfront conversation with the manager/owner/whoever.
Those boots are installed very sloppy as well. They will have to be fixed.
How was this duct designed? Is there a central return or multiple returns?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm meeting with the owner tomorrow morning I'm just not sure I trust them to do anything to fix this. I think the owner is pretty knowledgeable about HVAC but I think it may not be wise to let them do any more carpentry.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know much about installing ducting can anyone give me some points to bring up up with the owner. Like should the boot be screwed into the hardwood flooring like that?

·
Registered
961 Posts
I don't know much about installing ducting can anyone give me some points to bring up up with the owner. Like should the boot be screwed into the hardwood flooring like that?
It’s not rocket science. Here is a YouTube video how it’s done.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks but I meant more of a list of bullet points of problems with this install I could bring up to the contractor.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Stop all work, tell the owner they are not to return until you meet with him on site.

That is ugly, even if it was to be covered by a subfloor, those registers will forever be sloppy in those boots. They need to fix that.

The registers should be cut square and to the proper size. Tell them to put the sawzall away and cut it with a tool that can make an accurate cut. They have many other options out there, heck, I’ve seen people use chainsaws with better results than that.

You may want to request a journeyman be on site at all times while the apprentice assists them but is not to be in charge of making any more holes.

Unfortunately it looks like you are going to need to keep a close eye on them for the whole project. Not that you wanted to babysit, sometimes you just get out into that position.

Don’t be afraid to document and notify the owner of every quality control issue you see. And if it becomes too much, demand to have a new crew put on the job. They have made a terrible first impression.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts