DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Had a contractor via Lowes's (yeah, I know...) install a sliding door and I noticed a decent gap at the interior bottom moulding over the existing tile (see pic). I am not sure if/what they should have done (caulk look ok over the tile?) since it may be due to the irregular tile and cracked grout. Presumably they sealed everything behind the moulding and I am willing to pop it and look, but wonder if I should follow up with them instead? Happy to complain if they did it wrong, but am just not sure. Thanks

Attachments

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
They didn't finish their job - call them back to seal that gap. For them to go away and leave that as they did is a "cheap shot" on their part.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Poor contractor fix for hole at door frame

Here are the before and after pics from a sliding door install, where there is a big gap at the bottom corner. The contractor's solution to this and the other gaps was to throw a bunch of caulk at it. As you can see this cement already starting failing hours later... What is the right way to fix this - we are getting ants through the hole.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,214 Posts
Threads merged. Please don't start multiple threads on the same topic.

Thanks

·
Home Performance
1,542 Posts
+1 to WoW's comments. The window/door guys can only work with what they are given. Had I sold/installed this job, I would not have globbed all of the caulk in there, just let you know that the tile does not have coverage up to where the new door sits. It would be best to have a tile professional or someone with the proper expertise come out and address that. That is the professional way of handling that.
If it was my own house, I'd probably just look for some matching grout and fill that all in. As much as I'd like to throw the box store hacks under the bus, they DID finish their job in this case.

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
Seems that you started two different threads that have now been merged. You (for some reason) didn't offer the same information and photos in both threads. Maybe your intent was to skew the replies in your favor. My guess now is that you were probably informed of the issues going-in and probably just said; "It will be okay just go ahead" or something to that effect. Now that you have seen the results and don't like it you want to slam the contractor. You pretty much got what you paid for this time around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts