DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Thats funny....I have already talked to my lawyer...he says let him file lien...he has 6 months to sue me...then we destroy him in court with a professional witness and video/pictures.
I would sure like to see a copy of the specs and contract for the slab, with names and dollars blanked out.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
As long as you have the money, you hold all the cards.

Reactions: J. V. and de-nagorg

·
Registered
2 Posts
OMG! Even a non experienced worker can tell that this job is messed up. As a contractor, these are the things that I am most afraid of. That's why I need to make sure that I'm always around and check their job. That's a sad sight to see.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I agree. Bad case of "can't see it from my house".

Reactions: Davetheampguy

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
It was 4000psi fibermesh. I did verify the tiny little fibers in it by breaking a small scrap open. Really doesnt matter if they cant even finish the job right though.
I made the mistake of using fiber without wire. Bad call. Especially for a driveway.
Yeah, they just left about 1/2 hour ago. It got heated. I pointed out the stuff...he was all like "you liked it yesterday" I told him it has to come out. He refused. We yelled. I ran him off.
Let him try and file a lien. I have 2 angles of video of the entire installation. From start to finish. Plus the driveway itself.....sitting here like a turd. It got me wound up. Im a retired hot head...and it came out today.
Calm down. You got a shitty job. No one died.
I have the same type of attitude when I get pissed. I have since tried my best to not let it mess me up enough I loose my temper. Its not worth it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Did the original estimate include removal of existing concrete? If that is the case and you did in fact not give him any payment up front then you are back where you started. I don't think I would want this guy doing anything on my property.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I get it. Trust me...it's healthier for me to vent here, than they way it went yesterday. I literally chased him off my property. lol. I'd be in jail if it was 10 years ago. I'm 51 now and have had three multilevel lumbar fusions in the last 6 years...so Im not as cocky as I used to be. But that temper is always there. I do a damn good job at it, but Im only human. I was pissed. Enraged actually. Now the rage high is gone, the guilty but cunning stage comes. I feel bad for losing my temper....but now its time to get my legal ducks in a row....I get it. There is not one person who has said they would accept it. Kinda what I was looking for at first here. Someone else to say yeah....thats a shitty job.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Yes...estimate was for Removal and replacement 11 yards 4000psi broom finished. Now I am past angry hulk stage I have listened and get what everyone is saying about the material lean etc. I am prepared to face whatever lies ahead, but I refuse to look at this driveway for the next however many years Im alive. Going outside and seeing a new decent driveway will bring a smile to my face....no matter what the cost.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
. I literally chased him off my property. . Enraged actually.
“Your honor, we tried to meet with the homeowner to resolve this, but he became enraged and forced us off the property. We were there to negotiate in good faith, but because of the homeowners actions we felt threatened and feared for our safety. Therefore your honor we petition for immediate payment of 100% of the monies due, and further request a protective order be issued”.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I have seen too many sloppy shitty jobs and I am afraid I too am in the same camp as the OP, if you can't do it right the first time why would I waste time to do it right the second time or be able to fix it? The operator didn't feel it was substandard work is what's even concerning.

Now if the job turned out to be bad because of situation out of control like a thunderstorm sweeping through and the finish was ruined then some discussions in good faith about a remedy is fine, but a shitty job with no pride of workmanship is unacceptable.

I have had in the past, paid the contractor off in full or negotiate a partial payment satisfactory to both sides just to get them out of there so I can begin the demolition of their work. You already did a shitty job once, why would I go through it again?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
What law is that lawyer Bob?
You know what ... your arrogance and attitude are beginning to wear on me. Too bad you aren’t half as smart as you think you are.

Losing Your Right to Recover: The Risks of Firing a Contractor for Deficient Work - Pushor Mitchell LLP

The common law imputes an implied condition into all construction contracts that the owner will not prevent a contractor from accessing the worksite. Where an owner denies a contractor access to the worksite, he or she is repudiating the contract, thereby releasing the contractor from any obligations under the contract which would include completing work and repairing deficiencies.

In other words, by depriving Mr. Jozsa the opportunity to remedy his work, Ms. Sebazco was depriving herself of the right to seek damages for the defective work. Generally, if an owner is dissatisfied with a contractor’s work, the appropriate course of conduct is to document the deficiencies, make a demand for the contractor to address the deficiencies and allow the contractor reasonable and necessary access to make the repairs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I tend to agree with Half-fast. I think you're going to find it difficult to find a contractor that'll want to do the rip out and replacement you desire. Although it might be an unacceptable job in your eyes, I think most contractors will view you as someone that can't be pleased and figure no deal is better than a bad deal.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
In my state, this concrete guy would have ONE CHANCE to make good, IN A TIMELY MANNER.
I can't see him doing that.
Then have it inspected, have a report in hand and if it fails, you have a case.
If the guy sues you, he will not prevail, even if you end up in front of a judge who doesn't know the difference between bad job and good job, but relies on an expert witness in court or by a written opinion. Your lawyer will know what to do.
My guess: He won't try to make it good.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts