DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
That’s ugly. You may want to first ask them how they plan to fix it. If their answer doesn’t include tear out and re pour then you can make your recommendations with that suggestion so they know what your expectations are. A polite conversation should have them seeing what is required to do fix the job.

Nobody wants to be in your position. It’s not your fault you are there. They are the ones who did the poor quality work and as a result they have put you in this spot. If you let it slide then you lose and they win. If you are not clear on what you expect as a final result then they waste time trying to doctor up this job before having to rip it out and re pour, you eventually win but they lost much more. If they walk without pay then nobody wins. If they rip it out and do it again then you win and they have a chance to break even, but also gain a valuable lesson). That last one seems to be the best option.

Any experienced eye will be able to see how bad of a job that is (an inexperienced eye should be able to as well from those pictures). I think when you approach the foreman or manager then they will see the issue very quickly.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
1) Insist on 6-sack mix. 5-1/2 sack mix is marginal,
The number of sacks is meaningless, you need to specify psi strength. 3,000 is sufficient for a residential driveway.

2) Tell them that you will verify the slump on arrival and reject the mix if itdoesn't meet required slump.
You need to specify the mix design up front. Simply telling him you are going to check slump is worthless ... they could send 10” slump and you’re going to check and verify ... yep, 10”. Do you have the equipment and knowledge to check slump? Very few people do. And the gc and concrete finisher sure won’t agree to check it.

otherwise the concrete companies tend to send rejected commercial loads to
residential jobs who don't know better). Bullsh1t. Urban myth. That assumes there is a commercial job nearby, from the same batch plant, and they are close enough that the truck can deliver before the concrete sets up in the drum.

5) Insist on welded wire mesh reinforcement; forget fiber-reinforced
concrete.
The only thing wire mesh does, is it hold the cracked concrete together. It doesn’t add enough strength to be worth the cost. Fiber reinforced concrete is a good choice, if you don’t mind some of the fibers being exposed like fuzz.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Don't pay. Get the contractor to tear out and re-do, but follow these guidelines. Agree to reasonable upcharges where these guidelines exceed his normal practice. And maybe promise a $1000 bonus if the job comes out right this time. You ARE asking him to eat the job as well as the demolition.

My top five secrets to good concrete driveway work:

1) Insist on 6-sack mix. 5-1/2 sack mix is marginal, and the cheapskates
often short you to 5-sack mix which just plain stinks.

2) Tell them that you will verify the slump on arrival and reject the mix if it
doesn't meet required slump. (Tell them this even if you don't actually
plan on testing it, otherwise the concrete companies tend to send rejected commercial loads to
residential jobs who don't know better).

3) Insist on cut or tooled joints! Lots of them! Don't leave any piece
larger than 10' x 10'
or you'll be sorry with stress cracks in a couple of years.

4) INSIST that they spray curing compound to slow the cure down to
acceptable levels, or your driveway will begin spalling as soon as the warranty is up. You MUST do this regardless of the outside temperature!

5) Insist on welded wire mesh reinforcement; forget fiber-reinforced
concrete.

In your case, INSIST that the company owner do the final finish! Inspect his last job to make sure that his finishing skills are acceptable!
Thanks for replying....exactly how I feel....replacement. They hacked. Sad part is it was owner finishing. He just was the only one who had a clue. Im so upset. I really dont know if I can trust them to do it over. He and his salesman are coming out. I hate to make a guy eat a job too. One time in 25 years I got some warped porcelin tiles and it didnt turn out as flat as I liked. I tore it our and replaced it. It was a matter of pride. I was really hoping to get a good job first time. So glad I have not paid and have all the power. Otherwise I would have been screwed. That was one thing that inspired me...he didnt want any money down. I figured...he must be confident he can pull it off.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It was 4000psi fibermesh. I did verify the tiny little fibers in it by breaking a small scrap open. Really doesnt matter if they cant even finish the job right though.

·
Contractor/Engineer
1,222 Posts
As a contractor you know what to do and how to file a grievance for reparations through the local licensing board.

Your written contract should also contain verbiage regarding arbitration.

Reactions: Davetheampguy

·
Registered
314 Posts
5-1/2 sack mix (3000 psi) is the bare minimum for residential driveways. Many pros use 6-sack (3500 psi) or better.

Yes, checking the slump may be overkill. It takes skill and a slump checker to measure it.

Here is a reference that compares sack mix vs. psi strength:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
As a contractor you know what to do and how to file a grievance for reparations through the local licensing board.

Your written contract should also contain verbiage regarding arbitration.
Oh.....I have all the arbitration. He doesnt have a dime from me. Have a concrete buddy coming by to look at it tonight. I should have had him do it in the first place...but I was confused whether he was still in the business or not...I thought he had a different job...but he is back with his dads concrete company. Lesson learned by me. I figured a guy with the balls to not ask for a deposit knew what he was doing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
That’s so crazy!! I would honestly not accept this job, if that was done for me. About a year ago I got my concrete driveway repair job done by my local contractors, and some of the best advice I got from them is always double check your contractors understands the project you envision! So if they you’re looking for perfection they understand anything other than that is not acceptable!
Thanks man. Im all twisted up right now. He is supposed to be coming out later. My buddy pointed out that he didnt do the sidewalk right and my city will never pass it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yike, man. I wish you a speedy resolution. One bit of advice: don’t get emotional over this. Just follow the resolution process. If the contractor is not cooperative, then get another one to remove and redo. Take advantage of small claims court if you need to. Just follow the process.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yeah, they just left about 1/2 hour ago. It got heated. I pointed out the stuff...he was all like "you liked it yesterday" I told him it has to come out. He refused. We yelled. I ran him off.
Let him try and file a lien. I have 2 angles of video of the entire installation. From start to finish. Plus the driveway itself.....sitting here like a turd. It got me wound up. Im a retired hot head...and it came out today.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,526 Posts
That is horrible. I grew up with my dad as a concrete contractor and thought I had seen some bad stuff from others that we replaced, but that is a new low.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Yeah, they just left about 1/2 hour ago. It got heated. I pointed out the stuff...he was all like "you liked it yesterday" I told him it has to come out. He refused. We yelled. I ran him off.
Let him try and file a lien. I have 2 angles of video of the entire installation. From start to finish. Plus the driveway itself.....sitting here like a turd. It got me wound up. Im a retired hot head...and it came out today.
I was going to say you need to at least give them a chance to do it right before getting another contractor out to fix it... but it sounds like they are not willing to do the job right.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,526 Posts
I was going to say you need to at least give them a chance to do it right before getting another contractor out to fix it... but it sounds like they are not willing to do the job right.
More likely, they are not able to do it right.

Reactions: Davetheampguy

·
Contractor/Engineer
1,222 Posts
Oh.....I have all the arbitration. He doesnt have a dime from me. Have a concrete buddy coming by to look at it tonight. I should have had him do it in the first place...but I was confused whether he was still in the business or not...I thought he had a different job...but he is back with his dads concrete company. Lesson learned by me. I figured a guy with the balls to not ask for a deposit knew what he was doing.
You know we all wish you well. It's always sad to hear of a brother getting beat by trusting someone. Darn it.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Let him try and file a lien.
He will win in court. The judge will ask if you got a concrete driveway of the shape/layout that you contracted for, and if it is serviceable for a driveway. Unless you have very specific language in your written and signed contract that calls out how it should look, the judge is going to tell you the contractor delivered what was agreed to. You are going to have to prove that the quality is so substandard that it warrants complete removal, and that is for a different court where you are the plaintiff, not the defendant.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
He will win in court. The judge will ask if you got a concrete driveway of the shape/layout that you contracted for, and if it is serviceable for a driveway. Unless you have very specific language in your written and signed contract that calls out how it should look, the judge is going to tell you the contractor delivered what was agreed to. You are going to have to prove that the quality is so substandard that it warrants complete removal, and that is for a different court where you are the plaintiff, not the defendant.
Thats funny....I have already talked to my lawyer...he says let him file lien...he has 6 months to sue me...then we destroy him in court with a professional witness and video/pictures.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Thats funny....I have already talked to my lawyer...he says let him file lien...he has 6 months to sue me...then we destroy him in court with a professional witness and video/pictures.
Did you provide any indication that the job was satisfactory before the concrete cured? Sounds like he thinks you were happy with the job while there was a point of return. That could work against you if it is true.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts