DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im a former 25 year Journeyman tilesetter who owned his own company for 25 years.

Was not lowest bid...I got several. Weather was perfect 80 degrees all day.

Im not happy.

I havent paid yet...as just poured yesterday...and they still have to pull forms and cleanup.
I have done 10's of thousands of mudset tile jobs....I see butchery.

What now? make him tear it out. Im so embarrassed...neighbors are gonna see this hack job.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I agree, the job is bad.
Looks like he used inexperienced finishers.
You won't be satisfied with anything but a tear off and re-do.
The faster it's done the easier it would be.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Yikes. The person cutting the joint was he drunk? That last crack developed before forms are pulled? Did they moisture cure it or cover it with visqueen, tarp or burlap for a period?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree, the job is bad.
Looks like he used inexperienced finishers.
You won't be satisfied with anything but a tear off and re-do.
The faster it's done the easier it would be.
Thats the feeling I have too. One older guy...few green kids. Im sick to my stomach over this.....but the thing is....can I trust them to tear it out and do it over? I just wanted a nice new driveway for my new Hellcat....As a former contractor, the last thing i want to have to do is tell another guy he did a hack job. This sucks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yikes. The person cutting the joint was he drunk? That last crack developed before forms are pulled? Did they moisture cure it or cover it with visqueen, tarp or burlap for a period?
No...covered with nothing. Wasnt superhot yesterday....but yeah...there shouldnt be cracks day after pour.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Don't pay. Get the contractor to tear out and re-do, but follow these guidelines. Agree to reasonable upcharges where these guidelines exceed his normal practice. And maybe promise a $1000 bonus if the job comes out right this time. You ARE asking him to eat the job as well as the demolition.

My top five secrets to good concrete driveway work:

1) Insist on 6-sack mix. 5-1/2 sack mix is marginal, and the cheapskates
often short you to 5-sack mix which just plain stinks.

2) Tell them that you will verify the slump on arrival and reject the mix if it
doesn't meet required slump. (Tell them this even if you don't actually
plan on testing it, otherwise the concrete companies tend to send rejected commercial loads to
residential jobs who don't know better).

3) Insist on cut or tooled joints! Lots of them! Don't leave any piece
larger than 10' x 10'
or you'll be sorry with stress cracks in a couple of years.

4) INSIST that they spray curing compound to slow the cure down to
acceptable levels, or your driveway will begin spalling as soon as the warranty is up. You MUST do this regardless of the outside temperature!

5) Insist on welded wire mesh reinforcement; forget fiber-reinforced
concrete.

In your case, INSIST that the company owner do the final finish! Inspect his last job to make sure that his finishing skills are acceptable!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts