DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone forgive me in advance for the super rookie DIYer question I'm sure. My range bulb burnt out and as I was replacing it a short (I guess) happened. I went and killed the power at the breaker which Im sure I should have done in the first place. I had to buy a new oven lamp holder bc the other had a piece where the wire connected which was melted right off and burnt black.

So I have the new part and have reattached the wires but none of my burners are working. I was going to test the infinite switches one by one but it occurs to me if I have the right tool for it or not. I have attached a picture of the tool I am using. Will this be able to tell me if the switch has continuity or not? L1 to H1 with both being 120V would light up as 220V on the tool? Correct?

If I am using this correctly please let me know?

If anyone has any other tips on my range other than the tool please feel free and seriously thanks in advance.

Scott

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,374 Posts
Start by checking the fuses. Many stoves have internal fuses. It is not likely that all the burner controls burnt out at the same time because of the lamp holder short.
You could use that tool to test the incoming line voltages at the stove plug.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Range fuse

Hey JoeD thanks for the reply, I checked and I do not see a fuse. I looked up online to see what a range fuse looked like and I checked in the same spot on the back of the range for it and there is nothing there (Ive attached a photo of the area I was looking at.

In reference to the tool, yes I have used it to check the voltage at the stove plug. Can I use it to test the switch though?

The black wire that got shorted and melted the piece it was plugged into on the oven lamp holder did plug into each switch (see attached picture with my finger pointing at the black wire plugged into the switch. I am also attaching a picture of the black wire originating out of the oven lamp holder.

Could it be that the wire itself is fried? Or could have the surge burnt out each switch?

Thanks,

Scott

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,374 Posts
What is the make and model of your stove? Fuses are normally up top where you can access them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Range fuse

The range is a Sears Kenmore model 911.94465 thanks JoeD

When you say test both hots coming out of the back of the oven lamp holder? Both of those wires? If so, no I havent would I be able to test them with the 120/240 tool I have in the attachment?

·
Super Moderator
21,374 Posts
The only model close to that I could find is 91194465690 and it doesn't show any internal fuses, so I guess that might not be your problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts