DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this is a pretty simple one - but I would like to get some feedback to put me at ease.

Years ago I poured a basement floor. In that floor I placed a 3" standpipe with a trap. Currently the washer empties directly into the top of the open standpipe. So far, so good. I intend on placing a utility sink next to the standpipe. There is already (I was thinking ahead), a 1 1/2" vent which I can tap into for the sink. I wish to tie the sink drain into the standpipe. Now a few questions:

1) Can the connection for sink waste pipe be placed anywhere in the 3" standpipe as long as it is lower then the sink p-trap (and above concrete floor)?

2) Is the proper name for the connector in #1 a 3" x 1 1/2" x 3" wye?

3) Is the vent connector from the sink drainage pipe to the vent called a 1 1/2" tee? or should I also use a wye here?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depending on where you live. Under the IPC the utility sink must be direct connected to the drainage system and vented.

Thanks Ghostmaker...I'm a little confused. By tapping into the standpipe it is directly connected, albeit a 2nd p-trap, and shared with washing machine. I must be missing something?

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
A standpipe is an indirect connection. It just guides the water to the floor drain and is not physically fixed in an airtight fashion to your plumbing system. A washer machine has an exception in the IPC allowing a stand pipe. A laundry tray does not have one so it must be direct connected to your physical plumbing system and is not allowed to drain into a floor drain. Unless your planning on having inspections I would just drain the laundry illegally on its own pipe to your floor drain. I as an inspector can not pass it but it's your house. I would then run the washer into the laundry tray.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, thanks..I think I understand. The main stack for the house is 4 feet away from the utility sink. If I were to connect there with a wye and the vent and the trap (leaving the standpipe alone) then all would be well?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts